Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

air filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air filter

i have a stock air filter and it needs to be changed should i just go for a K&N or should i go even better?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:26 PM
FLARESIDE MAN !!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stay with the stock ford filter save your money don't buy a aftermarket cheapy stay with motorcraft.. K&n is a over priced air filter that get less flow then a stock ford filter...
Old 11-19-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorFORDtech
stay with the stock ford filter save your money don't buy a aftermarket cheapy stay with motorcraft.. K&n is a over priced air filter that get less flow then a stock ford filter...
have any proof to this statement???
Old 11-19-2009, 09:41 PM
I WANNA GO FAST!

Originally Posted by ford4wd08
have any proof to this statement???
i doubt it. i have played with the demo box at Advance Autoparts and have a K&N drop in filter. i have noticed a difference between the two.

spend the money and buy the K&N then you wont have to pay the $10 everytime you need your filter changed.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by seniorFORDtech
I have to see proof of this! I find this hard to believe! Where did you get this info from!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:45 PM
I WANNA GO FAST!

Originally Posted by firefighter
I have to see proof of this! I find this hard to believe! Where did you get this info from!
look at his name, he's a ford tech, he has to push their paper crap.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My only issue with the K&N is the required oil spray on the filter, I hear a lot of people screwing up downstream sensors because of too much oil on the filter. Doesn't seem worth the hassle. Any cost savings goes bye bye once you screw up a sensor. To each his own I guess...
Old 11-19-2009, 09:47 PM

im with you guys. i have put K&N filters on my 95 and 96 f150 just wanted to make sure before i get one for my 05
Old 11-19-2009, 09:47 PM
I WANNA GO FAST!

Thats why you oil the filter before you install it. to avoid downstream spray. that and dont soak the damn thing lol
Old 11-19-2009, 09:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much proof do you want? Do you know anything about the spitula that migrates from the gauze to the sensors? Are you aware that at full throttle the air speed thru any filter media is no more than 7 MPH? You can walk faster than that. Are you aware that the stock filter media surface can handle 7 times the FULL requirements of the engine? Are you aware that engines that live at RPMs like NASCAR engines will never see anything but a paper element because it flows better and filters better. Did you know that holes in the gauze can be over 140 microns? A particulate of 40 micron will do damage to your engine. If you are in a high silicone environment (read dirt) you might have use for a washable type filter. But the oil gauze is the worst to buy. A micron is 1/1,000,000 of a meter.

If you have no clue about the above questions, don't feel bad. Most have no clue and because a company can massage dyno reports to what they want, the consumer automatically thinks that the results will magically appear under his hood. Always suspect any company that holds dyno reports as proof. You can dyno your engine and get your results. Let me have it and I won't even open the hood or add anything to the gas and I get more or less HP- and let you chose which. It's called advertising. Just like you'll see Mobil One on the oil fill caps on high dollar cars. No factory fill is Mobil One. It's a business deal where Mobil supplies the caps for free for the advertising. Same as with some of the F150 gas caps that say BP Fuels. It's a business deal for the advertising dollar.

look at his name, he's a ford tech, he has to push their paper crap.
And just how many millions do suppose he is making?

Quick Reply: air filter