Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Air Conditioner stops while driving, comes back on restart?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 04:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Air Conditioner stops while driving, comes back on restart?

Just had this happen...stopped at light AC stops (shuts off completely, no fan, no electric to AC panel)...looks like fuse.

Kept going to destination, didn't want to chance it stopping. Ball soup.

Pull in to spot. Turn off engine. Restart, air is on and working. So can't be fuse, so what the hell? Any ideas?

Thanks...
Old 08-12-2020, 06:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any replies to the issue? I am having the same deal.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tman454B
Any replies to the issue? I am having the same deal.
Never had a response...my research led me to believe it was a short or worn spot in the, catch this, ignition circuit in the steering stalk. Never got past that, don’t know how to fix, why it would be happening, etc
Old 08-13-2020, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a different problem with my A/C system where I couldn't 1) get any cold air and 2) change the fan speed. The fix to my cold air problem was that my blend door actuator gave out and kept getting pushed into the heat position due to the engine heat pressure (an absolute terrible experience to replace unless if you have small, skinny hands). That doesn't seem to be your problem if you can still get cold air if you reset the car, losing power sounds more like a electrical resistor failing. The solution to my different fan speeds was that my blower motor resistor was failing. That's was a simple replacement behind the glove box. This could be your problem. I changed my blower motor resister before it completely failed so I can't tell you if the A/C light and other electric to your ac components piggybacks off of it (as my light never gave out) but my different fan speeds would work 50/50 and then eventually quit permanently as the resistor died.

Other note: I have manual/physical ac control ***** on my model, not digital controls.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:07 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Confusing list of symptoms . didn't identify if auto air etc . There is a clutch relay in drivers fender fuse box that gets intermittent . But that doesn't control fan . Pcm controls ac it monitors pressure switches /engine temp etc . It is possible to freeze evap coil if fan doesn't blow warm air over it , that will stop air circulation also . Low charge can freeze coil . You need to see if clutch pulling in , also there is a gap adjustment on clutch to stop it from slipping or not pulling in .

Quick Reply: Air Conditioner stops while driving, comes back on restart?