Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Affordable Electric Fan Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Affordable Electric Fan Kits?

So I have a phaser/timing job ahead of me this spring - and I'm thinking about replacing the stock fan with an electric conversion. The problem is - I'm already spending over $1000 for replacing the phasers, all timing components and the oil pump (just because) - I'm going to be strapped for cash when it comes to the eFans.

I'm hoping there are others who also didn't fork over the $500-$600 - and found some good, affordable alternatives.

I'm not looking for awesome - I just want reliable and affordable, lol. I know you get what you pay for - but I don't think a $600 conversion would get that money back over any length of time. (in gas mileage, etc)

So - anyone got any suggestions? I've scoured the interwebs and there's a million options - but there's no shortcuts for experience - which is why I'm asking here.

Thanks!
Vaughn
Save
Old 01-12-2017, 04:58 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Search here for electric fans.

I bought a used Mark VIII fan, and then a good controller (don't cheap out on a controller). I have right at a couple hundred bucks invested. This setup has been on two F150's, a 2004 and now a 2007. The setup is over 8 years old, and still cooling the 2007 great.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:51 AM

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

I did the e-fans for a couple of years until a failure. I didn't see any advantages other than oil filter access. They were actually kinda noisy with the AC on.
That being said, if you want to do e-fans, do it. But I think that if funds are not abundant spend your money elsewhere.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Taildragger
I did the e-fans for a couple of years until a failure. I didn't see any advantages other than oil filter access. They were actually kinda noisy with the AC on.
That being said, if you want to do e-fans, do it. But I think that if funds are not abundant spend your money elsewhere.
I've only ever considered it for the following two reasons:

1) A/C at idle no longer gets warmer
2) A teenty tiny trickle of horsepower added back to the wheels

Okay, so mainly just the one reason.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:34 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Doubt if gas savings a viable reason

Access to belt ,pulleys ,alt. ,water pump , oil filter are good reasons . It takes a lot to pay for the installation cost .
I have been trying to make this jump for years . I don't want more trouble than its worth .
My climate is hot in fl so the fan would be on 99% of time . I run ac almost constantly . You must buy a very good system or you could destroy an engine with the heat .
You want fan to run when ac is on not when fan clutch goes on and off .
You need repair parts to fix any failure quickly . I would not want it to look like an amateur wiring job either .
It would be great to get that guard and big old fan out of there but $600 and a lot of work. Its really not worth it . The newer trucks have it maybe I'll just wait .
If I did it I would buy the motor craft fan assembly used on newer f150's and modify the mounts. I would buy a very good controller and use a radiator hose temperature system not a probre stuck thru radiator fins .
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/motorcr...cs-vid-114646/
Old 01-13-2017, 09:35 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

The 2004 to 2008 F150's have always had complaints of poor A/C function at idle. The e-fan condition helps this situation. I live in central Florida, and the "Africa Hot summers certainly fall into the catagory of needing a decent A/C in a vehicle. The e-fan setup I have with the 2 speed fan really helped eliminate the poor A/C issue, as the high speed really pulls a lot of air through the condensor and radiator during idle.

Noise? Not mine. I think the clutch fan produces more noise than the e-fan, but perhaps other e-fans or not the same. Its an easy install to use a Mark VIII and install it within your existing fan shroud. Just be sure to use a good controller. Search for my thread; I had pics on the Mark VIII in an existing shroud.

An e-fan can also help in longer water pump life. All the new F150's are now using e-fans from the factory.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 01-13-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

I did a e-fan build about July 2016 timeframe using a dual efan out of a windstar. I added all of the wiring diagrams and parts that I used. Still working and probably set me back less than $200 for the setup.
Here is the link for it

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/my-wind...nstall-351785/

Not hard at all, good luck.
Tom
Old 01-16-2017, 09:02 AM
nathan3306

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

I too wanted to do this setup for a long time but I realized it is a lot of time and money to throw at something that could end up being a real pain/another point of failure. If you want to improve your AC, perhaps take a look at adding an auxiliary fan cooler and add it to the front of the radiator. It may come out to be cheaper, easier, and you do not lose the reliability of the OE fan.
http://www.jegs.com/c/Fans_Electric-Fans/10117/10002/-1