Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Adding a new supercharger to an old truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a new supercharger to an old truck

Hi,

I posted this in another forum and it got a lot of views but no replies. So I thought I would post here to see if ya'll have any input...

I am considering supercharging my truck. It is a 2006 F150 5.4 Crew Cab XLT 2WD. It has 77,000 miles and is in very good condition. Currently it has a Borla cat back exhaust, Edge Evolution CS tuner, K&N CAI and stock drive train. I believe the gear ratio is 3.73. The wheels and tires are from a 2010 F150 Platinum which I believe are 20" x 8.5"

My goal is to just make it more fun to drive. Unfortunately I live in the communist state of California so my options are limited...

The two kits I am considering are: 1) The CARB approved ProCharger and 2) The CARB approved Whipple supercharger.

My questions are: 1) With the mileage on my truck, is it OK to add a supercharger? 2) Will either one be better for my stock drive train? 3) If anyone has a similar set up, do you think the juice is worth the squeeze (approx 6k)? 4) Should I just sell it and get an Ecoboost? ;-)

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2017, 06:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I added my Whipple supercharger to my truck at 106,000 miles. Its definitely worth it to me and a whole hell of a lot more fun to drive. No problems at all. I tend to really take care of my truck.
Only problem is laying off the accelerator 😀! That and I can't stop adding power mods. It's an addiction for sure!
The following users liked this post:
scobar (03-23-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the reply! Is your drive train stock? How many miles have you put on it with the Whipple?
Old 03-22-2017, 08:03 PM

I have 4.56 gears with tru Trac. I now have 3000 on the Whipple. Since the supercharger I've also added an Overdrive pulley for 52 more rwhp! Total I'm at 408 rwhp and just under 500 max torque. Disclaimer: I'm in Colorado so 6000 ft elevation robs me royally 😩 And I have 36 inch toyos

Last edited by TheCleaner; 03-22-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:16 PM

Seek out guys like Blown Ford here in the forum. He is the resident guru on superchargers and especially the Whipple. Lots of information he has!👍
The following users liked this post:
scobar (03-23-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:34 PM

Will do. Thank you!!! And nice truck btw.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:11 PM

Thank you and my vote is definitely for the Whipple. It has proven to be the absolute best mod to my truck to date! Have any pics of your truck?
Old 03-22-2017, 09:23 PM

My truck... Nothing special but it is in really good condition. :-)

Old 03-22-2017, 09:54 PM

Very nice! You're right it is in great condition too! Great find 👍
Old 03-23-2017, 09:52 AM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

I'd do the whipple, do you have LSD? If not I highly suggest a Detroit Tru track otherwise you will be one wheel peeling a lot whether you mean to or not. This can cause damage to not only your tires, but also the differential. Ask me how I know The 3.73's should be fine, if you want more "seat of the pants", 4.10s would get you there, 4.56's def would! No mention of 4wd so you'll be lighter w/o transfer case/front axle/etc. The color/wheel combo makes it a sleeper

With 77k on it provided that it has been properly maintained I would see no issues. Heat is #1 killer for these trans! Do suggest to change your trans fluid/filter, add a higher capacity pan, and an aux trans cooler if you do not already have these. Not sure how much power you want to make, there are additional items you can do to valve body to improve shift quality, make it crisp/firm. Less wear on clutches, less heat...even firm enough to bark going into 3rd at WOT Change your fuel filter out, buy good quality fuel, use the right size belts. If you will go for more power, I'd upgrade the pump. Cooling, you will get hotter, efan swap would be good as would a larger/HD radiator. With more air going in, your exhaust will be louder as well, just keep this in mind in case local PD is touchy I have been pulled over for "road side" muffler check.

I slapped the blower on at about 32k miles and am at 67k now. I'd suggest getting it tuned vs. using the canned tune, more smiles per mile with a tune made for your truck. A mail order tune can be fine but it is going to be more conservative. Do find a shop you trust! Lastly, the stock brakes FN suck. You will want more 'woah' to go with your more go. I am using a powerstop kit which came with pads and rotors and is better than stock.

I am roush charged, and only because I bought the full kit NIB for $3200 OTD, or it would have been the whipple. The roush kit is not bad, but has caveats. For most these are a non-issue. Over 10psi, the blower generates more heat which adds to the air intake temp, and looses its efficiency. It is also limited in the amount of air in which it can move and becomes the constraint if you want to grow. AFAIK most "hopped up" rousch trucks with cams and 12+psi and the whole nine are struggling to make 500-550whp. You can see how easy TheCleaner got to his numbers, even at this elevation. In MN on a hot/humid July day I put down approx 390whp and 490tq, and am also 4x4, so easy 500 at the crank. 2wd, you'll put more power to the ground. Smaller tires? More power to the ground.

Some time, for "science" I'd love to put my truck up against TheCleaner, our builds are a lot alike, and for a big truck, his sure does move out!!!

If you have any other questions you're welcome to ask. Good luck and have fun I really should compile all my notes I've collected and make a sticky, much of which was from Blown Ford

Last edited by scobar; 03-23-2017 at 09:56 AM.