Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

AC Blowing Warm Air When I Start Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC Blowing Warm Air When I Start Engine

I have a 2006 F150 Texas Edition, 5.4L, 65,000 miles. I have owned this truck since 6000 miles so it was almost new when I bought it.

Concern: Not all of the time, but a lot of times, when I start my engine, the AC will blow warm air. But once I put it in drive and take off, it will start blowing cold air. If I remain in park, it will continue to blow warm air. Then sometimes if I'm on a trip and pull over to let my wife antique shop, and I remain in the truck in park and the AC blowing, it will start to blow warm air again until I put it in drive and take off again. It always works fine while I'm driving.

I've owned F150's since 1975 and this is the only time I can recall this happening. I took it in to the local ford dealership and he tried it. It blew cold air. He said they could keep it a few days and keep trying it but unless it is not working when they have it, they can not tell what is wrong with it.

Has anyone had this problem and if so, what was the fix? It was a certified used car when I bought it so I have a 75,000 warranty that will expire soon. Thanks in advance to any suggestions.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar problem and I think mine resolved itself. I went off-roading (mudding) and I believe that mud got into the A/C clutch. I would rev the engine a bit and that usually got it to blow cold again. What happens to your truck when you rev the engine in park? Does the A/C get colder?

A few suggestions if its not the A/C clutch:
  • Check Fan Clutch - It could be bad or going bad
  • Something could be wrong with the air valve that mixes warm air
  • Check the freon and oil levels. It could be low
Old 07-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Devil's advocate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rugby55
Concern: Not all of the time, but a lot of times, when I start my engine, the AC will blow warm air. But once I put it in drive and take off, it will start blowing cold air. If I remain in park, it will continue to blow warm air. Then sometimes if I'm on a trip and pull over to let my wife antique shop, and I remain in the truck in park and the AC blowing, it will start to blow warm air again until I put it in drive and take off again. It always works fine while I'm driving.
Unfortunately this is normal for the 04-08 F-150's. The belt driven fan on our engines just isn't enough, at idle, to pull air through the condenser.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you!!!!

Quick Reply: AC Blowing Warm Air When I Start Engine