Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

77,000 miles to high for a super charger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 77,000 miles to high for a super charger?

I have an 04 f150 with 77,000 miles. I want to add the super charger, but I dont want to put it on there if the milage is to high; thus, leading to engine damage. Anyone have the roush or whipple with higher milage on their truck? Or should I just stick with the CAI/exhaust/and programer?
Old 12-15-2009, 03:23 PM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I would go with the CAI/Tuner/Exhaust first and see how you like it.

You would probably be safe with a supercharger with 77k miles IF you kept it turned down. IE like 6 to 7 lbs of boost. But also consider if it's a daily driver, the miles will add up and you are arriving quickly at the mileage which would not be recommended for a s/c engine.

Personally, just my .02 cents for what it's worth, I wouldn't do it if it's a DD.

But this is also assuming it's on a stock engine. You could also tear it apart and put a stronger bottom end and forged internals / crank on and romp on it all you want at 8 to 12 psi pending the S/C. But that costs a few bucks unfortunately...
Old 12-15-2009, 03:30 PM

Yeah the engine is stock at this point, I was considering forged pistons and a total overhaul. It is a daily driver, and I have the CAI and Exhaust. I am getting the tuner prob. within a week, I just wanted to know If I should rule out the S/C due to the milage. Silverliftedford
Old 12-15-2009, 03:56 PM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

To be honest, I'd go with whatever the manufacturer of the S/C state. Over the years, I've heard engine builders say to not add one on anything over 50k yet I've seen folks running one with 115K on their engines.

But on other hand, those running them on higher mileage engines probably tend to break down faster simply due to the increased stress.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:03 PM

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Thanks for the advice
Old 12-15-2009, 09:32 PM
BLOWN club

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Just dropped a Roush kit on mine. 60k miles currently. '04 FX4 screw with 373 gears. Asked a few questions before the purchase and from what i was told the internals are forged allready. Otherwise Roush wouldn't recommend it. Basic package is 6lbs and it is producing some very nice numbers so far with their somewhat conservative programming. 450 hp and 515tq to the flywheel. Haven't put it on dyno yet, but i'm giving it a couple months to see how I feel about it. It is running so strong I may never get it dyno tuned, for no other reason than to save the tranny and rearend from more power than it already has. So far I'm very happy with it and if you intended on keeping the truck for a while I would even recommend it. Roush is selling basic package on their website for 2400.00.

I wouldn't try to race it everyday or anything because sooner or later something would have to be overhauled, but normal driving with a little fun mixed in shouldn't hurt it one bit.

If you tow anything substantial, I wouldn't leave it in OD though with decent road grades. The torque that it will produce with the kit and the load of whatever you are towing might eventually lead to maintenance problems. "No personal experience with problems in OD but, I feel better pulling my 5000lb boat in 4th rather than all that weight in OD"

PS. Cost of CAI, Exhaust mods and programmer will be 1000.00 or better and you might see 30 hp increase. Kick in another 1500.00 and then you will really see some difference.

Last edited by rhicks20; 12-15-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 77,000 miles to high for a super charger?