Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

66k miles Tranny Fluid Change/Flush?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 02:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 66k miles Tranny Fluid Change/Flush?

Just rolled over 66k miles on my 08 4.6L XL F150. The car is in the shop right now getting a front end alignment and oil change.

Should I have the transmission fluid replaced while it's there? It has not been changed before. I know some will say that if it hasn't been serviced regularly then don't do it. Is 66k miles too many to start now?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,134 Likes on 2,835 Posts

id have it changed a long with the filter...i tend to steer clear of flushes...ive always just had the pan dropped and filter replaced
Old 10-12-2012, 01:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the shop I took it to said they only do flushes. He recommended that I go with a complete flush "since it only has 66k miles". I went along with that and had them do it.

Now I am wishing I had never told them to touch it. The truck makes a whining noise when I start it up. It only sounds like this in park and neutral. When I shift into gear, the noise goes away and the truck seems to drive normal.

Took it back to the shop and they don't have a clue what it could be. They said they are busy today and that I drop it by on Monday. The owner seems nice and willing to help out although he already kinda prefaced the situation by telling me that "simply changing the transmission fluid shouldn't cause damage" to the transmission. Which in my eyes seems to say, if there is something wrong with the transmission we aren't going to be responsible for it.

Any ideas on what it could be? Anything I should tell them to look for or check on Monday? They already checked the fluid level and said it was good.

Quick Reply: 66k miles Tranny Fluid Change/Flush?