Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

#5cyl misfire / low compression

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #5cyl misfire / low compression

Hey all, really enjoying this site as a newb. My 05 fx4 crew has a misfire on number 5. I replaced coils with accel and plugs with motocraft. All old Ford coils tested fine as did new accel coils. Number 5 first noticeably failed under load of hill in OD and more pedal led to more knocking and pinging and less speed. Even with OD off I barely made it home and was down to 30mph on the grade for a period of time. All of this was preceded by what I saw as a lack of power in general. My truck had 100K on it when I bought it. Was not offroad or pulling anything. I know the PO. I put a Magnaflow on it, did the coils and plugs and installed a tuner in a weekend. It seemed much stronger and no hesitation that was I feeling before at OD shift points, low rpm. I pronounced it fixed. Two weeks later I have this failure on the way home and all signs point to low compression. Full test with leakdown scheduled for tomorrow. Dealer gave it a quick look, replaced number 5 injector, said it was stuck open (maybe) and said low compression, 1% leakage but couldnt say where. Said Phasers are knocking, replace long block, give us $8K. I said um no thanks, tell me the compression readings and then I can think about what to do and you are not getting the replacement work at those prices.

At 112K and only the number five misfire code showing, I am going to assume a valve problem on 5. Pulling the head, machine work, reinstall, plus chain, phasers and solenoids is maybe what 10 or 12 hours for a good mech? Dealer quotes 25 hours for engine change. It almost seems like a reman engine installed at a economical shop is maybe worth it compared to just doing the headwork and phasers on my engine? Now sure, if I have ring problems on 5 I dont see pulling my engine and tearing it apart for a rebuild to put it back in is going to save me anything.

All comments appreciated. Thanks.
Mike
Old 04-09-2014, 11:43 PM

I do have 35 inch tires and a 6 inch lift btw. That is important. Engine swap will be harder from what I see. Planning on gear change after I get through this engine mess.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:39 AM

Update - Local Indy shop found 160 psi on #5 which is pretty interesting considering major ford dealer says low compression, replace motor. Ford replaced injector 5 said it was stuck open and ext warranty covered it. I have 112K on it, thought that was out of warranty? Not sure if I believe them re the injector considering they obviously did not check compression. Indy shop says injector is not pulsing. Wouldnt this show another code besides P0305 misfire on 5? I did not hear back from the shop but guessing buying a new ECU or chasing through the harness seems like a wild goose chase. So now I have to wonder if my Cat is damaged? Timing chains are already slapping around and the shop has no interest in doing that work.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:56 PM

New PCM installed. Shop said it was "better". They also replaced #5 coil which was new with a Motorcraft. Waste of time. They said #4 cyl showed a little low on compression on the computer after they checked the balance. After all that, still P0305 code misfire after I try to climb a grade and it hits overdrive. Power falls off like crazy, valves are clacking like they are breaking to bits. I am afraid compression is really the issue and I need to see exactly how they are measuring compression. If you have fuel and spark to #5 and it holds 160psi then it has to fire! My dream of owning a bitching F150 sure has been tainted.

Quick Reply: #5cyl misfire / low compression