Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4L on the fritz

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4L on the fritz

this evening i was driving my truck, cruising at normal speed, and it started to bog down all of a sudden. engine light came on, so i checked my edge...cylinder 1 misfire. next thing you know a chain of events started to occur. by the time i reached my house i had thrown 7 different codes: cylinder 1,4, and 2 misfire, random misfire, ignition coil 1, system too lean (bank 2), and catalyst threshold below efficient. any help would be highly appreciative. its driving me insane.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:56 AM

Default Gas

Not sure but i think you have the 2valve and not 3 valve and the vin letter should tell you be carefull what fuel you put in.
just a fyi and something to look at since we dont know all particulars.
GL man
Old 06-05-2011, 03:08 AM

i have an 04 screw 5.4L with 112k. i took it to a local muffler shop and had them cut off the back cats and that took off the catalytic converter code and the engine too lean code. not to mention it took away the knocking that started about 10k ago, which was probably due to bad cats. i replaced my ignition coil and added some injector cleaner to my fuel to help out, but its still running rough. the only code its throwing now is still the ignition coil 1, but it still feels like its missing. think its time to change the plugs? im also thinking about adding lucas oil stabilizer and cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor. any more ideas will help out a lot.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:40 AM

Wait they really cut out your cats???? I thought by law they can't do that..
Old 06-06-2011, 01:10 AM

my body style comes equipped with 4 cats. 2 smaller ones and 2 larger ones. i got the larger of the 2 cut off. the town i live in isnt really too strict when it comes to emissions, but yes with all the emission laws it is illegal. shops caught doing this usually get slapped with a big fine. i already had a super 44 and with this it sounds amazing. theres a slight drone to it, but its nothing you cant get used to.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:50 AM

Yes mine has 4 cats also but i had mine cut directly behind them to install true dual exhaust with shorty headers.
Our coil and plugs are a unit on each cylinder (coilpacks).
May be check that number 1 pack before investing $300 having them all changed out.Trust me aluminum heads and coilpacks can be really problemsome if you never changed them or improper tools.retapping will cost much more than having a mechanic do the job.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:02 AM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

112K miles, do you think its time to change plugs ??
Old 06-06-2011, 11:01 PM

bought the truck used with 78k. the dealership said they replaced coils, plug, etc. bought a coil from autozone today. made the truck run a little bit better, but there still is a misfire somewhere. its not throwing a code to which cylinder it is. the only thing thats showing up is the ignition coil 1. even when i clear it still comes back.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:10 PM

a neighbor of mine is a ASE certified mechanic. hes replaced plugs on this body style and advised me to check everything i possible can before singling out the plugs. he has the tool to extract the broken off plugs, but also told me its painstaking and time consuming. he said use either motorcraft carb cleaner, like the tsb on these engines says, or use PB Blaster, which i think would honestly work better. if this is the culprit, i'll have to devote probably a full day to changing the plugs, thats also taking into account if anything does go wrong.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:31 PM

Its been a month and i"ve finally got it into the shop. i havent been driving it at all. just my '02 camaro SS . the mechanic ran some diagnostics on it and there were surprisingly no misfire codes to show up, but he was for certain there was one. plugs came out with no problems. he called me the next day and said it was still running bad, so he did some compression tests. no compression on 2 of my cylinders. now he has to pull the heads and go from there. he said it could be a number of things. push rods, valve, head gasket. hopefully its nothing major all i heard when he was saying that was, "im about to rape your check book"

Quick Reply: 5.4L on the fritz