Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4L 120k Cam Phaser Issues, Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 12:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 5.4L 120k Cam Phaser Issues, Need Advice

I have 07 FX4 that as far as I can tell has bad phasers ticks like all hell at idle hot or cold noticeably less when hot though. Should I replace the phasers or would doing the phaser lockout be enough.. truck has plenty of power just the diesel idle is killing me. I will get a cold start video of the noise tomorrow.
I recently had the manifolds done and the guy who finished them for me said that my ticking was the VCT solenoid, so I bought 2 Standard (that's the brand) VCT solenoids and found out I have the newer valve covers which do not allow for the VCT replacement without removing the vcovers.. Should I just bite the bullet and do the whole Cam phaser/chains/tensioners/oil pump or no.. I plan on driving this truck into the dirt so maintenance is maintenance as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't look like anyone else has been inside the motor So i'm thinking i'm dealing with stock ford phasers from 2007.

Sum up.. do I risk addressing the noise for $600 plus my time or just replace it all now while its still in one piece.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:06 PM

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Timelord83
I have 07 FX4 that as far as I can tell has bad phasers ticks like all hell at idle hot or cold noticeably less when hot though. Should I replace the phasers or would doing the phaser lockout be enough.. truck has plenty of power just the diesel idle is killing me. I will get a cold start video of the noise tomorrow.
I recently had the manifolds done and the guy who finished them for me said that my ticking was the VCT solenoid, so I bought 2 Standard (that's the brand) VCT solenoids and found out I have the newer valve covers which do not allow for the VCT replacement without removing the vcovers.. Should I just bite the bullet and do the whole Cam phaser/chains/tensioners/oil pump or no.. I plan on driving this truck into the dirt so maintenance is maintenance as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't look like anyone else has been inside the motor So i'm thinking i'm dealing with stock ford phasers from 2007.

Sum up.. do I risk addressing the noise for $600 plus my time or just replace it all now while its still in one piece.
I was going to do phasers like you but ended up doing the whole timing job and never has attempted it before. while I was in there I did new lifters and rollers. Its hard to pinpoint these trucks and the sounds. The injectors make noise and so on. The phasers do make the diesel noise. My truck is much quieter
Old 06-21-2018, 09:37 AM

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

If you plan on driving this truck into the ground, I say it would be a smart idea to do the entire timing job while you have it apart.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Commonly the phaser noise should he louder at a hot idle not quieter. Usually quieter at hot idle is a manifold leak. Are you sure the manifolds were done right? Not saying it's not the phasers but they are almost always louder at hot idle vs cold idle. Also normally the phasers don't make much noise at cold idle unless they are REALLY bad. If you feel confidant that the noise is from the phasers then it is always recommended that you do the full timing job and always use OEM phasers, vct solenoids (not standard brand), OEM 2v ratcheting style tensioners. If you cheap out on those parts listed there you will be doing the whole job again. I also recommend dropping the oil pan to clean and swap the oil pump with any of the Melling versions. They even have a new high volume version but I don't know anybody on here who has used the new HV version yet. I used the Melling 10340. If you're doing the job right you won't be able to do it for $600 and your time. Parts are usually around $900-$1200.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:01 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Do full timing job

Lock outs don't fix any broken parts and degrade engine . Put that $700 towards a proper timing job . Phasers do go bad but that's only part of the problem . Poor oil pressure and blown plastic tensioner seals are a major problem . Use steel ratcheting tensioners with no seal to blow out . Use oem parts . VCTS ,lash's ,rollers phasers were all upgraded . Melling has a new high volume oil pump the 340hv . All this can be done diy if you have the will and the help on here . But its not cheap a full timing job runs around $1400 in oem parts . Don't use aftermarket phasers .
Not much in the way of special tools ,the phaser holding tool being a good one . Pulling cams avoids the expensive valve tool . Read svares final fix sticky .
Old 06-21-2018, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by BadFish523
Commonly the phaser noise should he louder at a hot idle not quieter. Usually quieter at hot idle is a manifold leak. Are you sure the manifolds were done right? Not saying it's not the phasers but they are almost always louder at hot idle vs cold idle. Also normally the phasers don't make much noise at cold idle unless they are REALLY bad. If you feel confidant that the noise is from the phasers then it is always recommended that you do the full timing job and always use OEM phasers, vct solenoids (not standard brand), OEM 2v ratcheting style tensioners. If you cheap out on those parts listed there you will be doing the whole job again. I also recommend dropping the oil pan to clean and swap the oil pump with any of the Melling versions. They even have a new high volume version but I don't know anybody on here who has used the new HV version yet. I used the Melling 10340. If you're doing the job right you won't be able to do it for $600 and your time. Parts are usually around $900-$1200.
$600 is what the lockout kit costs for the phasers alone. I took a cold start video yesterday I'll upload it
Old 06-21-2018, 10:38 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Lockouts are just a bandaid. The truck will still have low oil pressure which could lead to other problems down the road. You would also need a tune to go with those lockouts. I am fully against lockouts. They dont fix anything they just cover up the problem.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:09 PM

https://youtu.be/i_MDUREE5M4

Cold start video 50 degree 7am truck had been sitting for over 12 hours
Old 11-06-2018, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck when fully to temp had a horrible tick sound at idle and the engine sounded like it was idling really low, very diesel sound.

This is almost certainly the phasers right? It's been going on a long time and you can hear it a bit at cold idle, 5-10x worse when hot.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:04 AM
LightningRod

Received 640 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by BadFish523
Commonly the phaser noise should he louder at a hot idle not quieter. Usually quieter at hot idle is a manifold leak. ...
... Also normally the phasers don't make much noise at cold idle unless they are REALLY bad. ...

^^^^^^^^^

The 5.4L has a chorus of noises it can produce. Hard to seperate out especially when all mixed together. @BadFish523 described it pretty well here. I might add that loose roller bearings in a rolller follower can 'tick' really good on startup because the thin (5W20) oil drains off during soak. And they are oiled basically by a drip system. When cold thicker oil reaches them, they may quiet down slightly - then get louder as oil heats and thins out. In my opinion - the 'tick' is more likely from manifold OR roller/followers OR lash adjusters not staying pumped up against valve spring pressure.

Phaser's knock, will be louder at hot idle and has more of a diesel engine sound.

Another tricky one - the 'thrust' bearing surface built into the front cam journal can make a faint 'KNOCK' at hot idle that sounds exactly like a soft rod bearing knock if chain guides are bad and do not keep phaser gear running true - allowing cam to walk forward / backward against the thrust surface.

Quick Reply: 5.4L 120k Cam Phaser Issues, Need Advice