Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 won't start,what am i missing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 06:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 5.4 won't start,what am i missing?

My truck started running rough the other day then died with no restart. I had it towed home and I have been looking at it. It did restart once after some cranking but ran rough then died again a minute later, hasn't started since. It was way overdue for plugs so I replaced them along with coils, still no start. I had replaced the fuel module over the spare recently but just to check I pulled the fuel line off at the filter and got a nice stream before it cranked. The filter itself is new also. I then pulled 2 coils and checked for spark with a spark tester and it was fine. I then pulled the top off the intake just to open the body and squirt some fluid down there and no change at all. So now I know it got some fuel and I know it has spark but still no start. I can see in the oil filler and the camshaft is turning, it got new cam fazers about 15K ago. It was very low on oil, about 3 quarts, filled it and no difference. I can't imagine compression being so bad it wouldn't start. Where to go from here????
Old 07-09-2019, 08:42 PM

Received 277 Likes on 245 Posts

What brand were those cam phasers, and what did they cost? I bet they broke on you, if you got a cheap aftermarket set.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:43 PM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

If that SOB won't even try to run - I can't imagine you don't have some codes an a nice dose of freeze frame data. With these modern computer driven machines, trying to figure out what is happening is akin to trying to figure out what happened to Challenger without telemetry or computer data.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:24 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

^^ this...what codes are showing up? I'm guessing VCTs may have something to do with this....
Old 07-10-2019, 01:25 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

OR the cam/crank position sensors are disconnected or are dead...
Old 07-10-2019, 05:45 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default yYou are going to have to pull valve covers and timing cover

I would guess your timing way off and your phasers toast . If they are cheap aftermarket you have a do over if you are lucky .Since this engine is hydraulically controlled with dirty engine oil I can't imagine how it ran 3 quarts low . Drop your oil pan if thrust washers in there or excessive crank end play you are done its reman time .
The reason it won't fire is the timing compression is so far out its not going to happen ..
Old 07-10-2019, 05:50 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

I don't want you to think I am happy about this situation . I don't like to see the 5.4 in such a pickle ,we don't want you to throw money at a bad project either .if mine goes to the point of no return I will reman it . Lets hope its not that bad but with loss of tensioners that use oil pressure its not good .
Old 07-10-2019, 06:13 PM

I checked for codes today with a nice Snapon Solas and go none at all. Tomorrow I will pull the pan plug just to see what comes out but right now I need transportation so I am looking for a beater I can buy before the weekend...
Old 07-14-2019, 05:38 PM

I pulled the plug today and the oil that is in there looks great even tho it is most all new oil. It really seems to not turn over well. I think I will try to get more juice to it and see if I can get it to turn over better. I spent most the weekend looking at used cars, found an old Jeep today so at least I can get to work in the morning...
Old 07-14-2019, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike M2
I pulled the plug today and the oil that is in there looks great even tho it is most all new oil. It really seems to not turn over well. I think I will try to get more juice to it and see if I can get it to turn over better. I spent most the weekend looking at used cars, found an old Jeep today so at least I can get to work in the morning...
sorry for ur problems bud, glad u found a vehicle for work.....
still chasing stuff on my ford AND I have a broke down(head gasket) 2001 volvo on my carport...LOL

Quick Reply: 5.4 won't start,what am i missing?