Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 Spark plug removal issue. Haven't seen this one

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 05:34 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default 5.4 Spark plug removal issue. Haven't seen this one

After watching, researching, preparing, and gathering. I started doing the plugs.

I've gotten 7/8 out and replaced. #8 cyl broke clean off leaving porcelain and electrode. The other three that broke came out clean only leaving the metal sleeve and strap.

My Issue is:

When trying to pound the porcelain through to break the strap, it's also pounding the sleeve in deeper. The porcelain is preventing the tap from grabbing and creating threads preventing me from using the removal tool.

Any suggestions? I've stopped as I don't think there's much further to go until it pops into the cylinder and I'm f*cked.

The tool I am using is the Ford Rotunda tool.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:42 PM

I've been driving with the injector disconnected on #8 in the small hope that the compression just might force it back further up the hole or even pop it out! Slim chance though, I know.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:33 PM

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by badwithcomputer
I've been driving with the injector disconnected on #8 in the small hope that the compression just might force it back further up the hole or even pop it out! Slim chance though, I know.
I assume your tool is similar to the lisle tool. Can you use something else more like a screw removal reverse thread type with more bite. Of course it always has to be the number 4 or 8 where you can't see anything. That's all I can think of, sorry. I broke 4 of 8 but they came out with needle nose
Old 08-14-2016, 08:39 PM

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by badwithcomputer
Wanted to add that maybe you can pre drill a hole if that's even possible with the porcelain so that it doesn't crack before getting your final tool in there for a good grab. The sucky part is that if it works you're going to have to pull and wiggle it to get it out which might dislodge the bite but worth a try I think
Old 08-14-2016, 08:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This same thing happened to me...on plug #8...( I used the Lisle tool to change all of mine). The pusher tool that comes with the Lisle tool will crush all of the porcelain out of the sleeve and won't push it in any further. When i went to get coffee...my buddy thought he would help me by stripping out my brand new Lisle tool...so i ended up welding a tap from my tap & die set to a long extension,then i threaded the sleeve and used an easy out and it came right out.....Ford dealer wanted $3000.00 for a new head...
Old 08-16-2016, 09:39 AM

this is what I'm dealing with...

5.4 Spark plug removal issue. Haven't seen this one-adiuroc.jpg

5.4 Spark plug removal issue. Haven't seen this one-9snveki.jpg

5.4 Spark plug removal issue. Haven't seen this one-xd7nww6.jpg

I'm not a mechanic by any means but would anyone agree that the electrode is impeding my ability to get the tap to bite since it appears to be sticking out?

Last edited by badwithcomputer; 08-16-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:56 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

I could be wrong but I think to use the lisle tool you're supposed to break the electrode off with needle nose or something?
Old 08-16-2016, 01:26 PM

I'll give that a try but my ribs are super sore from working on this thing. Hopefully they'll be less tender soon.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:04 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Get you some foam to lay on

I bruised my ribs badly doing some thing like this ,heavy old blankets etc will help . Hurt for long time .
Did you pour carb cleaner in there to soak and get carbon to release tip .
Old 08-17-2016, 07:42 AM

I got that sucker out last night!!

I used the biggest Phillips screw driver I had to grab that electrode and twist it out of there.

After that I called my good buddy Bubba and he dropped the tap in and pulled the remainder right out.

The engine didn't run too well after we got the last remaining spark plug in, almost like we did nothing. Took it out for a good run and everything cleared up and idled well again.

Last night I was coming home from hockey and punched it on the highway and it flat faced and started flashing the check engine light. Not sure what's going on there. It used to do that before the new coils.

Quick Reply: 5.4 Spark plug removal issue. Haven't seen this one