Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 Intermittent No Start!

Old 08-02-2016, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.4 Intermittent No Start!

2004 FX4 F150 5.4L with a no start condition that has happened 3x now. Engine running fine, then left it sitting for 2 days and when I go to start it just cranks with no attempt to fire. Spray starting fluid into intake and it starts right up and runs great.

Happened again after a long drive then sitting for an hour.

So it has spark because it starts with starting fluid right? And the engine runs fine once the started so the fuel pump is working, where do I start with this one? I replaced the FPDM with aftermarket in '11 already.

Is there a controller for the fuel that is different when cranking engine vice running?
Old 08-03-2016, 01:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try priming it like as if your building up fuel pressure and see if it starts right up.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:43 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Remove and replace the (FPDM) Fuel Pump Driver Module located under the spare tire ... It is mounted to the frame rail and is known to corrode and cause issues. Cost about $50 at local parts store and will come with the new style stand offs to prevent its contact with the frame rail.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the ideas.

AJSchwab: how do you prime it like you are saying? and if that still doesn't work is there a next step?

Techrep: I replaced the FPDM about 5 years ago and it had the new standoffs to keep it off the frame rail. Do you think it is likely to be failing? It is aftermarket.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:22 AM
Mark

symptoms fit.. and if it was a Dorman product it could very well be..
Old 08-03-2016, 08:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a coworker with the exact same issue last week. He has an '08 5.4L, he took it to his mechanic and the issue was identified as a. Failing coil on plug and spark plugs out of spec. He was 70k miles from his last spark plug change, he didn't change the coil packs with the first spark plug replacement.
He replaced all plugs and coil packs over the weekend, and is very pleased with the way it runs now.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:42 AM
Mark

Why would you change $500 worth of Coils if they work just fine ? and 1 COP or plug bad is not going to prevent the motor from starting..
Old 08-03-2016, 09:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
Why would you change $500 worth of Coils if they work just fine ? and 1 COP or plug bad is not going to prevent the motor from starting..
"I" didn't do any of this.
I am saying that this is what was recommended, and performed; which corrected the issue.
The mechanic "may" have tested several, or "may" have tested one and recommended all 8 replaced. it was not taken to Ford, nor replaced with motorcraft parts. his cost was under $500 for the mechanic to replace plugs and coil packs.
I personally would rather pay the expense for motorcraft.. I own the 6,000 page Ford Repair Manual, and have all of the diagnostic and troubleshooting procedures to do as much work myself. but am willing to entertain the cost of Ford certified techs on work that may be out of range of experience.
Apparently not everyone is as educated as you may be, and would rather adhere to the recommendations of their mechanic, than understand the intricacies of their vehicle. I can admit, I was once naïve and ignorant in regards to internal combustion engines.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:14 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by a1richard
Apparently not everyone is as educated as you may be, and would rather adhere to the recommendations of their mechanic, than understand the intricacies of their vehicle. I can admit, I was once naïve and ignorant in regards to internal combustion engines.
Say What?!?!? LOL!
Old 08-03-2016, 09:24 AM
Mark

Originally Posted by a1richard
"I" didn't do any of this.
I am saying that this is what was recommended, and performed; which corrected the issue.
The mechanic "may" have tested several, or "may" have tested one and recommended all 8 replaced. it was not taken to Ford, nor replaced with motorcraft parts. his cost was under $500 for the mechanic to replace plugs and coil packs.
I personally would rather pay the expense for motorcraft.. I own the 6,000 page Ford Repair Manual, and have all of the diagnostic and troubleshooting procedures to do as much work myself. but am willing to entertain the cost of Ford certified techs on work that may be out of range of experience.
Pretty crappy recommendation ... a truck with 70K miles on it and the Mechanic tells you to replace all the coils instead of troubleshooting the problem.. they are out to make money though... this is why I educated myself when I was young and do all my own maintenance ..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.4 Intermittent No Start!