Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

5.4 Excess Valve Noise After Servicing - RAT TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 08:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 5.4 Excess Valve Noise After Servicing - RAT TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP

It doesn't come out very well with this video... but it's the whacking sound... you hear the tick too....

Hi, just got done with doing a timing job on a 2004 5.4 and my buddy cleaned up the head and now we have a heck of a tap on the drivers side.

Is there an idiot guide to adjust and clean the head components and get rid of this excess noise in... say 3-4 hours?

Everything was scrubbed clean fairly well. I have no idea how tight anything is or is supposed to be and I didn't do the work. It needs to be inspected and checked.

Basically, a roller do hicky is lose and making a heck of a ruckus. I'm dealing with sludge and getting the motor cleaned up, but we've have to fix the lose bits.

I'd like to verify clearance and know what is acceptable.

Please advise - and thank you in advance. (If you need compensation... I have an ex wife you can have. She is very beautiful. And she can pay for dinner - her purse is full.)

Last edited by jefford; 03-10-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:28 PM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

Back up.

Were followers/lash adjusters replaced as part of the service? If not... the oil starvation that those areas endured would have had disastrous effects, and if old parts, they must be replaced. If new parts, all those times you ran it until the oil pressure dropped starved the new parts for oil, and you wiped out the new parts.

There is no idiot guide for a full cleaning such as you need, let alone in only 3-4 hours. If you want to do it right, pull the heads and hot tank them. If you want to keep wasting new parts, keep trying for an easy fix.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:56 PM

Kindly... I don't want to marry her... just to take her for a ride and get something younger and sexier... soon.

We cleaned the the metal parts and they all looked great - and yes I have a degree in metallurgy and material science.

He put them back in. I'd like to check what has been done.

In the least amount of time as possible as I have a fitness model that wants a test ride - and not in the truck.

Last edited by jefford; 03-08-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:02 AM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

hopefully the fitness model test ride makes the same noise as your motor.
The following users liked this post:
jefford (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 10:42 AM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by jefford

Everything was scrubbed clean fairly well. I have no idea how tight anything is or is supposed to be and I didn't do the work. It needs to be inspected and checked.

Basically, a roller do hicky is lose and making a heck of a ruckus. I'm dealing with sludge and getting the motor cleaned up, but we've have to fix the lose bits.

I'd like to verify clearance and know what is acceptable.

ZERO clearance is acceptable between pumped up lash adjuster, roller-to-cam, and rocker-to-valve stem. If you have a rocker/roller with any slack or making noise - it is either a lash adjuster that will not pump up or extend fully, or loose roller bearings in the roller. I know of no way to test lash adjusters, and a roller with any play should be replaced --- POST HASTE.

Oil passage ways to the lash adjuster are very small. Any junk in them will be fatal to the roller soon enough.
jefford (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 10:56 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Did you replace all the lashs and rollers

You can use the wedge on the chain and pull cams if you carefully mark everything . You can then replace those parts .Lashs are very difficult to call good .. I don't know anyone who will trade them for even a beautiful ex . I have three ,nobody picked them up either . New lashs are better, rollers are improved also clean everything and hand oil,lashs are to be primed in a bowl and soaked .
You are running the risk of it spitting a roller then it can eat cam . Not a good gamble ,I think your noise is warning you now . My roller did spit but missed cam . Mine cost $265 oem select on ebay for both sides-- everything . Undo cams in sequence a little at a time all parts must go back exactly like they were and bolts back in in sequence a little at a time .89 inch pounds or around 7.4 foot pounds . You can carefully put them on over rollers watching them to stay in place at your marks . Be gentle and take it slowly ,each bolt a little at a time .
jefford (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 11:59 AM

Fitness models typically make more of a purring sound... I'm hoping this one is a screamer. Seems about time for one... in light of this motor bull****...

The 04 5.4 driver side valve cover is off. We have determined after turning the motor over, LOTS OF OIL TO THE BACK of the camshaft... LITTLE UP FRONT.

The back actually sprays tons of oil out and very little up by the timing chain end of the camshaft.

The CAM TOWERS have wear. (Note my bro's attempt to repair the one that broke. No fault to him, you can see the void of material in the casting where it broke. See the the rear cam tower has a metal strap on the top...)

Some of the metal was smeared on the underside - reasonably adding 1mm to the underside diameter. The oil orifices were intact so we chose not to sand the metal down as the same amount is roughly on the top side.

I just need it to drive - not perfect. I'm okay with a bit of extra noise.

I'd like to do something now... that does not include removing the front cover.

I'm under the impression that all of the rollers and what not under the camshaft are functioning. Everything cleaned up nicely and is visually tight - nothing obviously loose.

Can the camshaft be leveled - and that solve the problem?

Note, I don't know if a valve is bent or broken... prior to taking off the cover, something is hitting. There is a TAP TAP TAP that increases when you accelerate. The sound is very light at idle and gets very loud upon throttle. - I don't know that the level issue of the cam shaft has anything to do with that. I suspect that the camshaft historically was not level based on how much sludge was in the back of the top end and how the back oil drains were completely full.

#1. What I can I do to get rid of the loud TAP TAP TAP TAP ... not the tick, that is there as well, but.... TAP TAP TAP TAP... after posting the video maybe it is a knock?

#2. Can I buy new cam bearing caps - just the CAPS and where?

Last edited by jefford; 03-09-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:39 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jefford
Typically more of a purring sound...
...unless it's blown!
Old 03-09-2019, 01:17 PM

Could this be a bad lifter or stuck rocker arm?

Last edited by jefford; 03-09-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:39 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Thats not the tower it looks like the cam thrust bearing has a piece broken

You can't some how level a cam .You can try cleaning grove under that cap and putting new rollers and lashs in . But if all that doesn't fix it then that head needs to go to the machine shop .
You may need a new head . Let the machine shop tell you whats needed . You will still need lashs and rollers in the end so it isn't wasted money I believe this is over most diy guys heads at this point .You must get good oil flow ,I would not trust those lashs or rollers . The clearances on cam caps and scoring of the cams need evaluated ,there is no quick fix here . Its border line ,do I need a reman engine at this point . You've got a worn badly treated engine that needs lots of parts and rework . A reman comes with a warranty and upgrades .Get an estimate from a machine shop or price out a reman head .I would think these caps are fitted ,thats why they have to go back exactly how they were/same orientation etc and they have worn in .
By the way the cams are different from pass side to drivers side .If things aren't right you can snap a cam into pieces . Mark all stuff before you take it off ,we used an engraver to mark all my cam caps .and we layed everything out in order so no mix up .Good luck
There' s more to the world than that pink stuff .
jefford (03-10-2019)

Quick Reply: 5.4 Excess Valve Noise After Servicing - RAT TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP