Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4x4 not working 2006 f150

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 4x4 not working 2006 f150

hello,
i'm new on here as of today about 20 minutes ago.
I'm having a problem with my 4x4 not working. I bought the truck back in may of this year (used 2006 f150).
what i've done so far to detect the problem is;
1) replaced the iwe solenoid
2) verified that all fuses were good
3) replaced the iso relays under the hood

The 4x4 lights will light up on the dash when i start the truck,but will not engage in 4x4. I have power to the 4x4 switch on the dash,however when i turn switch to engage 4x4 nothing happens. I was thinking it was either the switch was bad,or the motor on the transfer case was locked up.

When i replaced the solenoid there was plenty of vaccum(sp) at the solenoid.

If anyone has any ideas for me to try, I would appreciate it. Right now i'm at a loss of what to do next. Don't want to keep buying parts and it not fix the problem of the 4x4 not engaging.

Last edited by shane2006; 12-24-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:09 AM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

Tried tapping on the actuator motor (on the xfer case)? Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:51 PM

thanks 60DRB,
i was thinking of the same thing. going to go to a buddies house and remove actuator motor to try and free it up. He has the electrical books still on these model trucks. We had to go through a class at work (training for repair) in order to repair issues with these models. I sold my previous 2006 and gave my books to a buddy who had an 2008. He said i could get them back from him since he sold his 2008, just has to find books(dont know for sure where he placed them).
Anyways, thanks again for the info. I'll post whatever i figure out on here so as everyone else will be able to get some info also.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Let me know how it works out!

I'm new here... my story is almost identical to yours except mine is a 2004. Same symptoms and same process of elimination. I have heard people talk about cleaning the contacts on the actuator motor, but I'm not really clear what they are talking about. I was just going to get a new one. I'm interested to know if the cleaning works for you because the new motor is $278 around here.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

same prob here.. 4x4 light, but no front engage. I am having the dreaded griding noise also, replaced the vacuum seleniod, but still makes grind sound and no 4x4
Old 12-26-2010, 07:54 AM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

If you guys are doing your own work/repairs, check online places for parts costs (Tasca, Silverstate, etc). To save time (shipping) ask your local dealer parts guy if he'll match the online prices (mine will). You'll end up paying about the same total cost as online (after taxes) but get your parts quicker and keep the money local. Love my parts dept. guy, but still very wary of the service dept.!
For all 4x4 issues vacuum related (grinding noises), read:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/836438-everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-the-iwe-system-and-then-some.html

My knowledge on the dash operated 4x4 is limited. I know it uses an electric 4x4 actuator motor (mounted on the transfer case) instead of the manual floor 4x4 shifter. I think that is really the only real difference-how the transfer case is engaged. I read a lot on forums that these electric motors jam or get stuck if not used with some frequency. Tapping on them with something like a wooden mallet often gets them to come loose/unstick. Otherwise, replace the motor if it's inoperative. My understanding is the 4x4 dash light will NOT come on if the electric motor doesn't engage the transfer case.

Just about all the 4x4 issues I read about on these forums are easily owner repairable.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for a newb question, but how do you know it's not engaging if the dash light comes on? Picked up a used 2008 5.4. SCab 4x4 with 5k miles to tow my race car and foul weather, and haven't yet needed 4 wheel drive mode. My former Expedition made some noise going into 4 wheel drive but this one is quiet as a mouse.

Sorry for the slight thread drift.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:39 AM

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by boss281
Sorry for a newb question, but how do you know it's not engaging if the dash light comes on? Picked up a used 2008 5.4. SCab 4x4 with 5k miles to tow my race car and foul weather, and haven't yet needed 4 wheel drive mode. My former Expedition made some noise going into 4 wheel drive but this one is quiet as a mouse.

Sorry for the slight thread drift.
After you engage into 4x4 hi, drive slowly and turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or right, you will fell a little hop in your front wheels, this is them resisting to turn and go forward. That is what makes turning sharp in 4 wheel drive hard. Also, probably because i use 4x4 alot i can tell if its engaged because it takes more to get it to accelerate, and when you let off you can feel more resistance. And for 4x4 low it requires being in neutral, and when you engage it you can hear a pretty loud thump. but i agree, the shift into 4x4 high is almost silent.
The following users liked this post:
His196 (01-23-2024)
Old 12-26-2010, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06screwlariat

After you engage into 4x4 hi, drive slowly and turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or right, you will fell a little hop in your front wheels, this is them resisting to turn and go forward. That is what makes turning sharp in 4 wheel drive hard. Also, probably because i use 4x4 alot i can tell if its engaged because it takes more to get it to accelerate, and when you let off you can feel more resistance. And for 4x4 low it requires being in neutral, and when you engage it you can hear a pretty loud thump. but i agree, the shift into 4x4 high is almost silent.
If the light on the dash comes on, then the transfer case is engaged. If you're still not in 4wd, then the problem is likely at the hubs. Disconnecting the vacuum lines should engage the IWEs on the front. If it doesnt, i would guess the IWE actuator(s) are bad.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:42 PM

the light on the dash only comes on when i first start the truck. After truck is running it goes out. I have no grinding or anything of that nature going on. Haven't had time to look at it again, will try to get it done before the end of the week. I'll post on her whatever i find out is wrong with it, maybe it will help someone else out if they're having a similiar problem.
Thanks to all who have replied, that also helps me out in which direction to go with this issue..

Quick Reply: 4x4 not working 2006 f150