Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4x4 fails to engage, been troubleshooting for weeks

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 fails to engage, been troubleshooting for weeks

Done a bit of research into this problem, but am running into dead ends.

2006 F150 FX4 5.4L

• Vacuum line holds 20mm (so ok) in all configurations ( I have a vacuum tester).
  • IWE functions, recieveing 12v, clicks on.
  • No water in hub lines.
  • Just replaced Transfer Case Motor. Old one was not working (I attached 12v to motor red and black and nothing happened).
  • Pulled apart 4x4 dash switch, works fine, feeds out 4v,6v,9v when switching between 2H, 4H, 4L (don't remember which one was which, tested live).
  • Checked 2 under hood relays, both have identical test results, no failure.
  • No codes from computer.
  • All fuses 11,20,29,111 all look good and were removed and check for continuity.

Problem: switching the switch does nothing. IWE power does not change. No noise from motor. No lights on dash.

The tech bulletins suggest looking at all cables and connections. I still have a few more to check.

Where is the PCM?!
Where is the GEM or do I have one?

See this link for a nice wiring diagram of the whole thing.

Ideas?

I had a guy reduce the phase degree to 20 degrees when I added cam limitors. SCT tune, if thats of concern.

Last edited by jesse1414; 09-23-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id check the actuators on the front end, mine blew out totally but if you said you have vacume for the system then they must be working. Still though, check the actuators
Old 09-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm a little confused...easy to do.

When you say the "IWE" is getting power/clicking, do you mean the solenoid on the firewall? The IWEs are on the inside of the wheel hubs. Just because the a solenoid gets power and/or makes a noise doesn't necessarily mean it's actually working properly.

Possibly a short or broken wire somewhere between the dash switch and somewhere?

Have you checked the front wheels off the ground (engine on and off) to see if the IWEs are engaged/disengaged with 4x4 in the off setting? You have seen/read this?...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/836438-everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-the-iwe-system-and-then-some.html

Last edited by 60DRB; 09-24-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:57 AM
built ford tough

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

mine had the same problem, i did vacuum solenoid and shift motor
Old 09-26-2011, 04:52 PM

Default reply

I propped by the truck and the front wheels spin freely and independently.

Each IWE maintains a vacuum by itself when I tested them too. Check valves work.

Isn't it a moot point if the IWEs are/are not working if when I flip the switch to 4H the IWE solenoid doesn't stop the vacuum?
Old 09-27-2011, 05:50 AM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

At this point of your troubleshooting I would say yes...

From what you've described so far it seems that electrical power is not making it to/from somewhere. If all the parts are working when individually tested, you have been relegated to chasing all the wires for ground/short breaks. I don't envy you...
Old 10-03-2011, 12:46 PM

Default something's up

Does anyone know the order of operations for the 4x4, in terms of the motor.
I tested the new motor I bought and there is continuity/resistance that doesn't match up with the spec procedure. Pin 1 and 10 have continuity, when it should be open resistance. None the less, I'm returning the motor for a replacement.

I pulled the motor off and looked at it while turning on 4H, nothing happened. Is the motor supposed to move independently of all the sensors, or do the sensors control when the motor moves? No 12v was measured on the line. Cuz the sensors look like they are malfunctioning.

The whole thing has me at a loss. I think it could be the wiring harness, because the guy who had it before me left it unplugged and it got corroded some.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:21 PM

The relays are not receiving the ground needed to turn on power to the motor either. The motor part worked, tested that.

Quick Reply: 4x4 fails to engage, been troubleshooting for weeks