Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4x4 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:37 PM
@jverderber1

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Default 4x4 Conversion

Ok everyone dont get mad at this question and I know its probably not even worth it but i was thinking alot about it today since last night I went to pull a stranded friend out of some sand just to get myself stuck. Maybe it was my 37s shooting sand into my window but how awesome would it be to have 4wd? I know alot of people will tell me to just get another truck but I dont want another truck I just want to know what my options are. So I ask you fellow F150 lovers, What do I have to do to convert my 2004 2wd F150 XL into a 4wd? Is it possible???
Old 11-02-2010, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need a transfer case, new front axle, and I think a shorter drive shaft will be needed but I'm not positive. Plus a lot more stuff I'm sure
Old 11-02-2010, 09:53 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

If you're wallet is more impressive than your fab skills... the easiest way is to take it to a dealer and trade it in on a 4x4. Who knows, maybe you can do an XL to XLT, Lariat, or King Ranch conversion at the same time, along with a 5.4.

Other than that... do some googling .... I doubt the factory IFS 4x4 parts will even come close to bolting up so the only realistic solution is to run a straight axle. I wonder if a regular Dana 60 from a Super duty will work or if there's clearance issues... a high pinion Dana 60 from a 70's Ford 4x4.

As for the transmission, even if a factory 4wd transmission will bolt up... I wonder what kind of wiring will be needed to make it engage. I'm betting the easy solution there is a divorced transfer case such as an Np205, held in place with some beefy custom bracketry. If I'm not mistaken there's a member here who straight axle swapped and runs a divorced NP205 in a 2wd-to-4wd converted 97' F150
Old 11-02-2010, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definitely go with the sd axle but you may as well swap in the rear also its easy to find these axles with 4:10's and limited slips you will have to get new wheels but you dont want to have an 8 lug front and 6 lug rear use some sd 4" lift springs all the way around find a used tranny and transfer case from a wrecked truck that is the same year as yours and you should be set you will need a new front shaft and shorten the rear make sure when you get the t-case you get the selector switch out of the dash and all the wiring also.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know its a fairly easy swap for Rangers. I believe only one bracket has to be added to bolt the front differential to. Then I'd definitely be looking for a manual T-case to make life easy.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:37 PM
PURAVIDA

A solid axle with manual locking hubs would be sweet. That way you could forget about most of the electronics. Use a floor shifter too. I hope you do this and I hope you dedicate a thread to it.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:44 PM
@jverderber1

It sounds like the solid axle swap is the better way to go but my truck is also a daily driver so I need something that will be street drivable. Im going to start going to junk yards again and see what I can find. Also, with the solid axle would I also need to change the steering assembly?

This would be something I would love to do but it wouldnt be for a while since I have other things on my mind to do. Keep the advice coming though, thanks.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:57 PM
PURAVIDA

You will need new steering linkages. The best way to go about doing this is to figure out a good axle for the truck. Years ago when I was into Jeeps the best way to upgrade axles was to get them off of an old Bronco and rebuild them. Anyway, you'll need to figure out what axle will fit, find one, then rebuild it to your liking. Steering linkages, then, could be homemade with ease. I don't know where the steering box is on these trucks but that part of the conversion should be easy. Leaf springs would be easy for suspension. Just gotta find a spot to weld the perches. From there it's T-case and driveshafts. I don't know much about that stuff. Sorry for the rambling.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:22 PM
@jverderber1

Originally Posted by rockymtnrider
You will need new steering linkages. The best way to go about doing this is to figure out a good axle for the truck. Years ago when I was into Jeeps the best way to upgrade axles was to get them off of an old Bronco and rebuild them. Anyway, you'll need to figure out what axle will fit, find one, then rebuild it to your liking. Steering linkages, then, could be homemade with ease. I don't know where the steering box is on these trucks but that part of the conversion should be easy. Leaf springs would be easy for suspension. Just gotta find a spot to weld the perches. From there it's T-case and driveshafts. I don't know much about that stuff. Sorry for the rambling.
Alright good thats a good start. Ill look into front diffs and see what I can find and what will fit and ill go from there. Im assuming all my control arms, shocks and struts would be removed and maybe I could make money off parting those out. Im going to do a ton of research first and hopefully I can find something.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:41 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

just find a wrecked f150 about the same year...... you will need front and rear driveshaft...new trans..transfer.. front end... i think you can bolt a 4wd differential into the 2wd fairly easy... not positive ...but you would hae to have steering knuckles and all thatbe sure the front end you finally go with has the driveshaft on the same side as the transfercase you get

Quick Reply: 4x4 Conversion