Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4.6 or 5.4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 4.6 or 5.4?

Hey,

New guy here. It's been ten years since my last F150, a '93 with a straight six and manual 5 speed.

I'm looking at 2006-2007 scab models to replace a car with. I'll use it for my daily 25 mile round trip commute, hauling home the typical home-owner renovation stuff from Lowes, camping and hunting with my son. Don't really see the need for 4wd as I've never had it in a truck and never had problems on the off-road places I go. Probably won't be towing much beyond the occasional U-haul trailer either.

Question is primarily, 4.6 or 5.4 liter? I'm a DIY guy, with a decent garage and tools, but one of the reasons I'm retiring the car is I'm spending too much time repairing it. Like every weekend. It will turn 200,000 about the day I turn 55 next month.

I've read the threads on slip-yokes, spark plugs (5.4 only issue?) and now camshaft phasors, blown tensioner gaskets, etc. and would like to hear how the two engines differ in real world power and maintenance.

I have three '06-'07 F150s I'm looking at, an FX2 Sport (5.4), a Lariat (5.4) and an STX (4.6). They range in mileage from 77k on the SXT to 88k and 95k on the other two.

I drove the FX2 yesterday and it was nice but didn't have the acceleration I expected from 65mph (passing) and also had the slip-yoke clunk from a dead stop. Time for grease I assume.

Otherwise it was great! I'm driving the other two today and tomorrow.

Thanks,

Weekender.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better gas and a stronger engine is the 4.6 and the 5.4 is faster a truck I have a 2010 f150 and it runs great
Old 05-24-2013, 12:22 PM

Received 112 Likes on 77 Posts
Default 5.4 with 3.73 rear end

Get the Lariat. Chances are it has the 3.73 rear end which is great off the line. The Cam Phaser issue was addressed in late 2006 and fixed for 2007 models. There will be a sticker on the driver side of the block indicating the build date of the motor and its easy to see with the hood open. I believe the spark plug issues was addressed in the first half of 2005 (applies only to the 5.4 3v motors). You will need to do some research and make sure the upper and lower control arms have been replaced for any vehicles over 75K miles. The ball joints go out and they are pressed into the control arm. Moog sells the control arms for about $125. Other than that you should be good to go. My 2007 Lariat was a wonderful ride. I had an issue with the transmission (my fault totally) and had a a new one put in. My AC quit working and I replaced the evap core (that was a bitch) and when that didn't resolve the issue I sold the truck. I ended up with a new FX2 but I do miss the Lariat.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:25 PM
SHEEPDOG

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

Having owned both engines, but currently driving a 5.4L, it's all gonna come down to maintenance. If there is nothing else between those three trucks that swings you towards one or the other, decide based on records. These trucks can be put through hell and still run and run, so long as they're well maintained. If it we're me, I'd take the one with the best documented history.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 175 Likes on 107 Posts

The 4.6 is dog. I'd go 5.4 without question. I have seen 5.4 go 250k+ easily. As long as you keep an eye on the spark plug problem.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Good information, thanks.

The Lariat sold, so I'm going to see the STX this afternoon. 77,000 and the 4.6l. It does have PW, PL, which are must haves for me.

Carfax shows 3,000 mile oil changes since new and one-owner, local truck.

The FX2 Sport has a great Carfax from out of state and is being sold by a local wholesaler after it was bought at auction. For some reason it's missing it's spare, I didn't check for the jack or manuals, etc. No problem with me taking it to my independent shop whom I trust with stuff I don't have time for.

W.

Btw, I will go to the service dept for the maintenance history. I've done it with other cars I've bought as well.

Last edited by Weekender; 05-24-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The 4.6 is reliable but on the doggy side. I know because I own a 05. Not real familiar with the 5.4 except for my uncles 06. He gets around same mileage I do but he lives in different terrain.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Weekender
Good information, thanks.

The Lariat sold, so I'm going to see the STX this afternoon. 77,000 and the 4.6l. It does have PW, PL, which are must haves for me.

Carfax shows 3,000 mile oil changes since new and one-owner, local truck.

The FX2 Sport has a great Carfax from out of state and is being sold by a local wholesaler after it was bought at auction. For some reason it's missing it's spare, I didn't check for the jack or manuals, etc. No problem with me taking it to my independent shop whom I trust with stuff I don't have time for.

W.

Btw, I will go to the service dept for the maintenance history. I've done it with other cars I've bought as well.
I had a 5.4 in my previous truck and then last year bought a newer model with 4.6. Was disappointed at first as the power was much less and the gas mileage about the same. Installed and Edge Evo tuner and what a diifference. Power increase was amazing and the gas mileage jumped up considerably. I would estimate the power to be similar to the stock 5.4 and MPG is now 15+ city and 21 highway - never got to 18 with the 5.4. Not to shabby for a 4X4 Super Cab. No disappointment now with the 4.6.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

If your driving is mostly highway then I would say either will have similar mileage if city they the 6 is likely a better choice. The 6 is a more reliable engine then the 8 for all the reasons you're already aware of. Unless your going to be hauling a large boat around I'd say stick to the 6. A truck is a truck and they are all slow unless heavily modified I personally don't think there is much of a difference and the gearing on the 6 is likely different than the 8 to help it with acceleration with the down side being reduces towing capacity but plenty for your needs.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by primalurges
If your driving is mostly highway then I would say either will have similar mileage if city they the 6 is likely a better choice. The 6 is a more reliable engine then the 8 for all the reasons you're already aware of. Unless your going to be hauling a large boat around I'd say stick to the 6. A truck is a truck and they are all slow unless heavily modified I personally don't think there is much of a difference and the gearing on the 6 is likely different than the 8 to help it with acceleration with the down side being reduces towing capacity but plenty for your needs.
The 5.4 and 4.6 are both V8's.

Quick Reply: 4.6 or 5.4?