Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2008 interior light and parking light problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question 2008 interior light and parking light problem

I have seen other posts with similar issues. Just trying to pinpoint the problem a bit more.

2008 XL 2wd 4.6, 182,000 mi

There are a few light issues:

1) minor problem: interior light does NOT come on time to time when the door is open, sometimes the interior light comes on while driving. Both are sometimes 'fixed' by a slight tap to the left side of the cluster. Sometimes it works fine. It seems to know when I need the light the most and does not come on then!! No open door light on the dash (well unless the door IS open), so it isnt the door switch.

2) main problem: also was intermittent, but now constant and the main problem: parking lights (and dash lights) are on all the time. Engine on or off, doors open or closed. alarm on or off. doesn't matter. lights stay on and kill the battery.

What I have done: replaced the dash light switch. No change. Actually the parking/dash lights stay on even with the switch removed from the truck all together!

I have removed fuse 1, 2, 6 (one at a time, not all at the same time) and no change.

another minor issue is the air bag light bulb is not working (had the car scanned to confirm the blown indicator and the air bag system IS ok)

I did install an aftermarket radio - using a Crutchfield wire harness, so no factory wires were cut. I can't imagine there is an issue with the lights due to a radio (radio works just fine). Figured I would add that, as someone may ask about it.

I think everything is pointing to a bad cluster?

before I remove it and have it repaired/replaced, I just wanted to check to see if I missed anything in my basic troubleshooting (it is 7 degrees F outside.. didnt have time to mess with it too much!)

Anything else to check before i go the cluster R+R route?

Otherwise the truck is running like new.

Thanks

Paul
Attached Thumbnails 2008 interior light and parking light problem-20131212_210241.jpg  
Old 12-27-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

As far as the dome lights I wonder if there could be a problem in the dimmer switch that turns them on?
Old 12-27-2017, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by MontanaMark
As far as the dome lights I wonder if there could be a problem in the dimmer switch that turns them on?
i did replace the entire switch panel. When the interior light misbehaves, the dimmer doesn't do anything. If I want light (and its off) I can turn the light on only with the switch on the light itself. (or if it is on, the dimmer wont shut it off, have to manually shut it off at the light) .... but usually a whack on the cluster seems to get it to work ..usually
Old 12-27-2017, 03:51 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

I would say cluster...
Old 01-16-2018, 11:27 AM

Update. found the problem. Ended up being a water soaked, non-waterproof relay for the plow lights. I made the effort to use marine grade wire, connectors, etc.. just should have used a waterproof relay! The wiring I did held up great, though!

Quick Reply: 2008 interior light and parking light problem