Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2008 5.4L very rough idle - NEED ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 01:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2008 5.4L very rough idle - NEED ADVICE

Hi all. Came across this site while researching cam phasers. Very informative site. Been searching for a newer model F150 for some time and found one the other day at the local Chevy dealership. 2008 F150 SuperCrew 5.4L, 70k miles.

Took it for a spin ran great. Got back to the stop sign before the dealership and the thing started shaking and idling very rough. Engine didn't die but cam close. Gave it a little gas and problem solved. Got it back to the dealership and said keep me updated on what the problem is.

They called and said the cam phasers were out. One week later they installed new phasers, solenoids, and timing chain. Mechanic said the engine was very clean, no sludge etc. Test drove it again today. Ran great until warm and the exact same problem.

The oil pressure gauge never moves. Sometimes when you roll up to a stop it wont do it, but once you put it in reverse to put a little pull on the engine it will do it. Give it a little gas and its gone. Seem to happen every time you put a little pull on the engine.

I really love this truck and want to buy it once this issue is resolved. You guys have any experience with this? Could it be a coil pack? Fuel injectors?
Old 07-29-2013, 02:31 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

are you sure you aren't hearing the fuel injectors ticking?
Old 07-29-2013, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has been the same exact thing. Started a week after I bought it. I switched fuel rail pressure sensors with my cousins and it ran great so I bought. Try that. $90 tho lol
Old 07-29-2013, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it bring up the check engine light? See what codes it's giving if it does. A month after I replaced sensor it started again. New coil pack cylinder 7 and I was good to go.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:05 PM

This is not a ticking.....it shakes the whole truck. It sounds like a really bad, I mean really bad, spark knock. I have it back at the dealership and they are going to have the scanner on it when it starts missing.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been chasing the same problem for a year now. It is not injectors or Phazers or coils or plugs. I have replaced all these things multiple times. I have replaced FPDM 3 times and fuel pump twice. Tired of throwing money in it! I know what you mean the truck shakes violently at idle. maybe I will try the rail pressure sensor like mentioned above.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:16 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by HoytUSA
This is not a ticking.....it shakes the whole truck. It sounds like a really bad, I mean really bad, spark knock. I have it back at the dealership and they are going to have the scanner on it when it starts missing.
if it sounds like a knocking its most likely your VCT system, i wonder if they changed the VCT solenoids, or if they used aftermarket they might have taken a crap already...
Old 07-29-2013, 09:49 PM

Having a hard time getting accurate information but apparently the code that it is throwing is VCT related. When it starts idling rough it says the cam is 6 degrees retarded. I got the impression that only one VCT solenoid was changed out. So my fingers are crossed that the other VCT solenoid has failed. The mechanic said it may be caused by the PCM failing. I'm not sure. Bout ready to tell the dealer to keep it. Hate to because I love the truck!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:03 PM

Through all the rough idling the CEL never comes on.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:42 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by HoytUSA
Having a hard time getting accurate information but apparently the code that it is throwing is VCT related. When it starts idling rough it says the cam is 6 degrees retarded. I got the impression that only one VCT solenoid was changed out. So my fingers are crossed that the other VCT solenoid has failed. The mechanic said it may be caused by the PCM failing. I'm not sure. Bout ready to tell the dealer to keep it. Hate to because I love the truck!
I think a PCM failure is pretty uncommon compared to all of the VCT issues

Quick Reply: 2008 5.4L very rough idle - NEED ADVICE