Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2007 5.4 passenger side cylinder head removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2007 5.4 passenger side cylinder head removal

I seem to be finding conflicting information about removing the passenger side cylinder head on my 2007 f150 5.4 3V. The backstory is as follows: I have already done the cam phaser lockouts and spark plug change but now it's time to fix the infamous exhaust manifold tick. So I tore everything apart and as usual the driver's side was a piece of cake. All studs came out with none breaking. Now the passenger side is where the issue originated. The forward top stud was missing when I started this procedure. I found it later broken off about an eight inch into the head. The bottom forward stud broke while attempting to remove the nut. I also have broken the 2 rear studs. There isn't enough stud for the extractor to grab. So I have a total of 4 broken studs on the passenger side with little room for welders, torches, drills, etc.

My thoughts at this point are that it would be easier to remove the head and take it to a machine shop to have the broken studs removed. Then put it all back together with a new head gasket. I have the wedge tool that came with the lockouts so I could get the timing chain off and leave the phaser and cam in tact. I already have it mostly torn apart. I have the wheel, exhaust (manifold and pipes), fender liner, battery, ecu, trans dipstick, belt, and ready to pull the radiator.

My question is can the passenger side head be removed without lifting the cab or removing the entire engine? This is where I'm seeing conflicting information. Some threads say yes and others say no. Has anyone successfully removed the passenger side cylinder head on a 04-08 f150 5.4 3V? If so what did it entail? I'm not trying to touch the cams, valves etc. I just want to pull the head out, take it to a shop to get those studs removed, then put it back in with a new gasket.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:42 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

You can get the broken studs out if you remove the motor mount and jack the motor a few inches ... then use a right angle drill and extractors. youtube has some good videos. Good luck
Old 04-07-2016, 11:47 AM

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

You can remove the RH head without pulling the cab. However you do not need the timing cheese, as the timing cover needs to come off to remove the head. Might be a good time to change tensioners, guides, and chains.

However, I sure as hell wouldn't go thru the trouble of pulling the head. Try jacking up the motor. It's a hell of a job to pull the head, considering all the consequential work (fighting to get the power steering pump off the timing cover, pulling intake, trying to torque cylinder head bolts down with the engine in the truck is not fun, etc).
Old 04-07-2016, 12:34 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

I had the same studs broken and with some finesse, proper tools, patience and time I was able to get them all out.

As noted above, unbolt the motor mount from the underside, no need to remove it. Using a wood block jack that side of the engine up to make room for those front studs. You will need a right angle drill but they can be had cheap enough and are handy to have around.

Center punch the stud to keep your drill bit centered and drill slowly. I had one that was a bit of a pain so I heated up the stud red hot and let it cool a couple of times then it came right out.

I would avoid pulling the head if you can get away with it.

Here is my thread on the subject

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/passeng...change-324819/
The following users liked this post:
Spacechicken170am (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So what I'm hearing is that because I'd have to tear down the front of the motor using special pullers, remove intake, torque heads to specs inside the truck, and deal with the over head cam timing that the cylinder head removal will not save me any time and I just need to suck it up and undo the motor mount and then drill/torch/weld those studs out of there. I was hoping there was an easier way but it appears there is not. Thanks, you've talked me out of removing the head. I'll post a few pics when I have it done. I went with stainless long tubes from OBX. I'm also undercoating the frame while I have everything out.

Quick Reply: 2007 5.4 passenger side cylinder head removal