Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2007 5.4 65k-ish miles, what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 5.4 65k-ish miles, what to look for

Hey guys, new member here. I've never owned a Ford, always have had Ram. My wife is having our 4th kiddo later this year, and I was looking for a truck with a jump seat in the front.

My neighbors mom has an 07, 5.4 2wd with approximately 65k miles. It had plugs done about 10k miles ago, consistent oil changes, and all around maintenance done when need be.

What sort of things should I look for with an 07?

All the help I can get is much appreciated.

Here's a few pics.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:01 PM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

What do you mean by "consistent?" Anything over 5k with Ford oil is liable to bring on the sludge, especially if driven short trips, even more so with Ford's recommended OCI which was even longer IIRC.

I've an '04... but if I had my druthers, I'd still have my '14 Ram Laramie which was a better truck IMO (here come the flames) but I prefer appreciating assets these days to vehicles.

With 4 kids and a wife... I'd have a minivan to be perfectly honest. The miles on that truck are low for its age, but it's still 12 years old, and sometimes the vehicles that've sat are worse than those that have been driven. If you're entertaining one of these trucks, I hope you are either adapt at spinning a wrench or don't mind paying someone who can. You're gonna need a full timing set... could be tomorrow, could be in 5 years... but the number of guys who escape having to do it are far outnumbered by those that don't.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by dukedkt442
What do you mean by "consistent?" Anything over 5k with Ford oil is liable to bring on the sludge, especially if driven short trips, even more so with Ford's recommended OCI which was even longer IIRC.

I've an '04... but if I had my druthers, I'd still have my '14 Ram Laramie which was a better truck IMO (here come the flames) but I prefer appreciating assets these days to vehicles.

With 4 kids and a wife... I'd have a minivan to be perfectly honest. The miles on that truck are low for its age, but it's still 12 years old, and sometimes the vehicles that've sat are worse than those that have been driven. If you're entertaining one of these trucks, I hope you are either adapt at spinning a wrench or don't mind paying someone who can. You're gonna need a full timing set... could be tomorrow, could be in 5 years... but the number of guys who escape having to do it are far outnumbered by those that don't.
Oil was changed every 3k miles or 3 months. We have a mini van, but we like going places in the truck as a family as well. I'm also looking at an 07 mega cab. I'm pretty handy with a wrench, just haven't been under many Fords lately. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-21-2019, 10:32 PM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared W
Oil was changed every 3k miles or 3 months. We have a mini van, but we like going places in the truck as a family as well. I'm also looking at an 07 mega cab. I'm pretty handy with a wrench, just haven't been under many Fords lately. Thanks for the info!
That OCI does change things... could be a good buy, then. If rust-free, I'd guess thats a $4-5k truck up here in rust country. 2WD is a no-sale for me. You don't have the hassle of the IWEs but do have the hassle of wheel bearings/rotors (from what I've read). Don't get me wrong these can be great trucks, really depends on the life its led. Ford's foray into VVT leaves a lot to be desired. Make sure you get the engine nice and hot, get out and listen to the engine, particularly from the passenger side, listening for a "diesel" knock. If you hear that, you're looking at $1400 in parts to rebuild the timing system (phasers, chains, followers, lifters, guides and the original problem, the tensioners). Listen for a 3 second rattle on start-up (listen CLOSELY) but if you don't have a knock, you probably wouldn't have the rattle. The knock isn't the kiss of death (it's the phaser locking pins) but the rattle is the sound of a loose chain slapping against the guide until the hydraulic tensioner builds pressure. Then you also get to pull the pan to clear the oil pump pickup screen from the bits of plastic blocking oil flow. It all starts with the tensioner seals blowing out and then its a down hill snowball effect. If you get it, at very least, clean/replace the VVT solenoids (which on the ;07s you may need to pull the valve covers, I can't remember when the change-over date is... actually a good idea to do that to check the cams.

Here's what that looks like:

The following users liked this post:
isvend (04-21-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 05:51 AM

That OCI does change things... could be a good buy, then. If rust-free, I'd guess thats a $4-5k truck up here in rust country. 2WD is a no-sale for me. You don't have the hassle of the IWEs but do have the hassle of wheel bearings/rotors (from what I've read). Don't get me wrong these can be great trucks, really depends on the life its led. Ford's foray into VVT leaves a lot to be desired. Make sure you get the engine nice and hot, get out and listen to the engine, particularly from the passenger side, listening for a "diesel" knock. If you hear that, you're looking at $1400 in parts to rebuild the timing system (phasers, chains, followers, lifters, guides and the original problem, the tensioners). Listen for a 3 second rattle on start-up (listen CLOSELY) but if you don't have a knock, you probably wouldn't have the rattle. The knock isn't the kiss of death (it's the phaser locking pins) but the rattle is the sound of a loose chain slapping against the guide until the hydraulic tensioner builds pressure. Then you also get to pull the pan to clear the oil pump pickup screen from the bits of plastic blocking oil flow. It all starts with the tensioner seals blowing out and then its a down hill snowball effect. If you get it, at very least, clean/replace the VVT solenoids (which on the ;07s you may need to pull the valve covers, I can't remember when the change-over date is... actually a good idea to do that to check the cams.

Here's what that looks like:

Awesome! Definitely a 2wd, been in Georgia all it's life. I appreciate you taking the time to lay that all out for me! Now I have some expectations going into it at least.

Thanks again!
Old 04-22-2019, 11:17 AM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

you can make a damn good truck out of that one
Old 04-22-2019, 12:03 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared W
Hey guys, new member here. I've never owned a Ford, always have had Ram. My wife is having our 4th kiddo later this year, and I was looking for a truck with a jump seat in the front.

My neighbors mom has an 07, 5.4 2wd with approximately 65k miles. It had plugs done about 10k miles ago, consistent oil changes, and all around maintenance done when need be.

What sort of things should I look for with an 07?

All the help I can get is much appreciated.
nice low mileage find... looks pretty clean too.
hopefully they did extra oil changes based on time more then miles....
idk... i'd say the usual once-over : look at the engine bay see if anything is wet, drive it around and see if there are any studders or shakes, visually check brakes bushings etc
and like others mentioned try to listed for the dreaded tic

if a '14 is not definitively better then an '04 regardless of make and model, they should probably quit making trucks all together.... just saying hehe....

Quick Reply: 2007 5.4 65k-ish miles, what to look for