Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 Trailer tow charge - key off drain??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 2006 Trailer tow charge - key off drain??

I have been having the battery going dead lately in a mater of days(parked in the driveway). I tracked the draw to the Trailer Tow Charge circuit. It will draw 13+ amps then settle down to 4+. This is with the key OFF. I replaced
the Trailer Tow Charge relay (R05) with no change. The truck came with the tow package. I am at a loss to figure this one out. I checked the trailer 7 pin connector with the key off. No voltage. Key 13V. I have not checked the AMPs there yet. It started to rain. It may be a short in the wire harness. Have not traced the wire yet. I need to find out which wire and the color(s), it it has a tracer color. Hoping some of the experts out there can help me with this problem. All suggestions appreciated.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:21 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Pull the fuse till you get it nailed down..
Old 06-17-2017, 05:30 PM

I did isolate the fuse, location 106. Pull the fuse, not drain. Insert fuse, 13+ AMP draw.

Trailer tow battery charger.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

so where exactly are you reading the draw at if it is not at the trailer connection?
Old 06-17-2017, 08:48 PM

Between the -ve battery post and the -ve battery connector. Cable is disconnected from the battery. If I seem a little slow it is because of the multiplexing on the wires. I have been told that the the control modules will power up and go back to sleep for a while. How long, I do not know but it would be of some help. When I have the meter setup and the control units come to life, I get the 13+ amp draw then it drops down to 3.5 amps. I am working on this by myself so I have been pulling a bunch of fuses(keeping tract of which ones) and then hooking up the meter. I feel like an idiot waiting for the controllers to power up to see what is going on. At this point I do not know if the meter is working as the amp draw is 0.00.
I am wondering if one of the control modules is acting up as I said the constant draw comes only after the controllers power up. I did not keep the meter hooked up for very long as the test leads where starting to get pretty hot. I did not want to damage the leads or the meter. I have given up for today. Will tackle it tomorrow. I might just pull all of the fuses and relays to see what happens.

Comments. Suggestions?

Last edited by canblueford; 06-21-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:30 PM

l fixed my digital meter. One of the probes had broken wires giving me inaccurate readings. I am now down to a constant draw of 3.xx amps. I have pulled all of the fuses and relays in the panel. Disconnected all of my accessory wiring and the draw is still there. Any suggestions for the best next step\?
Old 07-01-2017, 06:22 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default There has been a lot of complaints about the Body control module

Parasitic drain thread . I know my radio cd changer will kill my battery quickly ,I
suspect the amp or subwoofer . I can't run it while working on truck if its not running .
Old 03-11-2018, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by redfishtd
Parasitic drain thread . I know my radio cd changer will kill my battery quickly ,I
suspect the amp or subwoofer . I can't run it while working on truck if its not running .
I do not have a subwoofer system. I was hoping for a few starting points(connectors) so I can work backwards. Easier, I think, than working from the front.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:28 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default There is a small fuse panel on drivers fender

You have a amp meter installed in series with positive lead of battery with negative lead bolted to normal post . Perhaps you have trouble on the alternator itself . Three leads coming off battery follow draw . pull leads off alt .
Old 03-12-2018, 07:24 AM

Thanks Redfishd for the suggestion and diagram. Will investigate this as soon as I get a few warmer days. Weather is a little cool in Ontario, Canada these days and all of my
repair/investigation work is done on the driveway. No inside parking :-( .

Regards,
Bryan