Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 F150 XLT Compass Showing -- After Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 F150 XLT Compass Showing -- After Windshield Replacement

First of all, thanks to everyone that contributes to this board. With all of the information on here, I was able to get all 8 of my spark plugs out intact, got the Fuel Pump Driver Module replaced, and tracked down my exhaust leak (that will be fixed some day).

I had my windshield replaced about 10 days ago, and since then the compass module in my F150 hasn't worked. I verified that the fuse wasn't blown, that there is 12V getting through the wiring harness to the compass, visually inspected the compass circuit board for any suspicious looking resistors, and can't get the pickup to get into compass calibration mode (yes, I've RTFM ). It always shows a --, and I've tried holding both the trip button on my dash cluster and what I assume is the reset button on the compass module for up to 30 seconds with no result. I never get to the CAL or ZONE displays. I haven't pulled the headliner down yet, but have felt up underneath and haven't felt any wire nicks/cuts.

I called the windshield company and didn't get much help, so . . . any help is appreciated. Is my compass module dead? Do I need to take a trip to a dealership for proper diagnosis?

Thanks for any help provided . . .
Old 09-30-2014, 06:54 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

I think when it was unplugged to replace the glass it just needs a re-cal...
Old 09-30-2014, 07:51 AM

I have same problem cant get it to do anything even tried disconnecting battery
Old 09-30-2014, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
I think when it was unplugged to replace the glass it just needs a re-cal...
They didn't unplug it. They have a hanger they use to leave it plugged in during windshield changes due to issues they've had in the past with how touchy these are. I've tried to enter CAL mode as documented in the manual to no avail.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:19 PM
Cant this thing go faster

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

They might have pinched a wire during R&R. When I added the compass to my truck I had a problem with cross talk and a pinched wire in the A pillar.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by technokami
They might have pinched a wire during R&R. When I added the compass to my truck I had a problem with cross talk and a pinched wire in the A pillar.
Okay - I'll have to check for that. If what I found is correct, I'll have to pull the passenger A pillar off to follow the wires? Did you need to pull the headliner down to fully check it? Thanks . . .
Old 09-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Cant this thing go faster

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bigman247
Okay - I'll have to check for that. If what I found is correct, I'll have to pull the passenger A pillar off to follow the wires? Did you need to pull the headliner down to fully check it? Thanks . . .

I didn't because I made my own harness, but you shouldn't need to either. It runs near the front edge of the headliner so you should be able to see it without removing it. Fixing it might be another thing though. I would start by re-seating the connector before pulling the visors and pillar covers. Always best to start with the simple solutions
Old 09-30-2014, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by technokami
I didn't because I made my own harness, but you shouldn't need to either. It runs near the front edge of the headliner so you should be able to see it without removing it. Fixing it might be another thing though. I would start by re-seating the connector before pulling the visors and pillar covers. Always best to start with the simple solutions
Thanks. I've connected and reconnected several times, but it never hurts to keep trying. I'll see what I can figure out this evening (assuming the 2 month-old is having a good evening).

Might have to pull my wiper cowls back off to check the windshield clips . . . I noticed some water underneath the passenger side floor mat. Hopefully it's still raining when I leave work and I can see if the floor gets wet again.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:45 PM

Pulled the passenger side A pillar trim and discovered that they sliced 2 of the wires. I suppose they ran the razor too deep when they were removing the old windshield. 2 butt connectors, and I have a compass again. Thanks again! Another trip to the dealership saved.

Quick Reply: 2006 F150 XLT Compass Showing -- After Windshield Replacement