Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 F150 Poor Acceleration with rattle under hood

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 F150 Poor Acceleration with rattle under hood

I have a 2006 F150 5.4L V8 86k miles, with an acceleration issue. It is sluggish when accelerating and there is a loud rattle under the hood when decelerating. They may or may not be related.

There are no codes and a deep search of the computer reveals no problems.

I have taken it to a reputable mechanic and they can find nothing either.

I suspect the rattle on deceleration could be an idler pulley, but it only started happening at the same time the sluggish behavior showed up.

If anyone has any ideas why very poor performance wouldn't generate a computer code, I'm ready to listen.

I don't claim to be a mechanic, but I can do pretty much anything that needs to be done to the drive train. I'm ready to hear suggestions on what might be causing the issues. I just don't want to spend thousands trying to diagnose a $20 sensor or some other benign problem.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:54 AM
Mark

Received 2,414 Likes on 2,115 Posts

Have the plugs been changed yet ? Start with the basic maintenance items that need to be done anyway like remove and clean throttle body and MAF .. replace fuel filter.. you are due for plugs and I suspect this is your issue.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been so busy I've not had the chance to give an update.
In December I took it in for the regularly scheduled maintenance .. you know .. oil change, new filter etc ... I also asked them to check the rattle because I was concerned.

As it turns out, the rattle under the hood was none other than lifters .. the cause .. the last oil change they used the wrong oil or a really cheap oil .. not sure which, maybe both, anyway, the oil had lost its viscosity and on deceleration it would lose oil pressure to the lifters and cause the racket.

The oil change solved the immediate problem, but now I am left with the prospect of whether the crappy oil used by the last quick lube shop broke down too soon and caused premature wear. I hope that I'm not doing a rebuild in the next year over worn out bearings and sloppy rings.

I've since driven it about 1800 miles since then and no problems. I just hope it stays that way!

Quick Reply: 2006 F150 Poor Acceleration with rattle under hood