Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 F150 Lariat Supercab 5.4 - issues with power sliding rear glass

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 11:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2006 F150 Lariat Supercab 5.4 - issues with power sliding rear glass

Hello, just picked this truck up last week and am going through trying to get everything fixed on it.

One issue I have is the rear sliding power window. It has power, the switch works, but the window opens slowly like the guide is obstructed. At first it only opened halfway but after I ran it a few times it starts slowly opening all the way. But it gets very slow towards the end of the guide path.

So there is that issue, and the other issue is that if I run water on top of the cab (washing the truck), water trickles in to the cab at the base of the middle of the window. So I really want to get this all fixed by the next rain since I dont have a garage.

I got a quote from Safelite to come out and replace the entire window for like $500 or something which I cannot afford. I like to do most work myself so maybe I am thinking of removing the window, getting it all cleaned up, cleaning the guides, etc, and then re-mounting the glass with a new seal but Im not sure if this is the best way to go about it or if it will end up a disaster lol.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Strik9
Hello, just picked this truck up last week and am going through trying to get everything fixed on it.

One issue I have is the rear sliding power window. It has power, the switch works, but the window opens slowly like the guide is obstructed. At first it only opened halfway but after I ran it a few times it starts slowly opening all the way. But it gets very slow towards the end of the guide path.

So there is that issue, and the other issue is that if I run water on top of the cab (washing the truck), water trickles in to the cab at the base of the middle of the window. So I really want to get this all fixed by the next rain since I dont have a garage.

I got a quote from Safelite to come out and replace the entire window for like $500 or something which I cannot afford. I like to do most work myself so maybe I am thinking of removing the window, getting it all cleaned up, cleaning the guides, etc, and then re-mounting the glass with a new seal but Im not sure if this is the best way to go about it or if it will end up a disaster lol.

Any help would be appreciated.
The seal wears over time and needs to be replaced. There are a couple threads where people swapped it on their own. That might also be what's causing the window slow down, if the seal is torn and worn, it's probably catching the glass and making everything struggle.

Look for any tears or worn spots on the seal. It will most likely need to be completely replaced (especially given the water intrusion you're reporting), which might fix both problems.
The following users liked this post:
Strik9 (11-04-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 07:12 PM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

Clean out the window's track, and lubricate the track as well as the cables.

Replace your 3rd brake light to one with the thicker seal, as water comes in there, puddles in the headliner and runs down the window. Also rots out the cab corners.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just went through this as well. Slider had to be helped to even open and there were leaks at the slider and frame(and third brake light). Previous owner was oblivious to all this and I found the cab corners to be rusted too. I replaced my slider with a solid piece with the defroster grids, Safelite charged me about $300 for the new glass and labor. The rusted cab corners were a little more to resolve. Don't wait to fix this it will only cause more problems.
The following users liked this post:
Strik9 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 08:11 PM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by chipskittles
Just went through this as well. Slider had to be helped to even open and there were leaks at the slider and frame(and third brake light). Previous owner was oblivious to all this and I found the cab corners to be rusted too. I replaced my slider with a solid piece with the defroster grids, Safelite charged me about $300 for the new glass and labor. The rusted cab corners were a little more to resolve. Don't wait to fix this it will only cause more problems.
new 3rd brake light fixes this.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dukedkt442
new 3rd brake light fixes this.
You are right. I did not say specifically that i replaced the brake light, but it got replaced as well. All three areas leaked, a LOT.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:58 PM

So there are two issues with the rear sliding power window. The first issue is that the sliding window sticks and doesnt open hardly. The second issue is water coming in AT the window, not just at the third brake light. I literally watched water pour in underneath the window from inside the truck.

Anyways, for several days I have been spraying silicone spray in the sliding window to get it to function better. It does seem to help on the day I spray it, but if I go to open the window again the next day, it seems to be 'sticking' again. Any advice here? I wonder if I can find some grease to put in the tracks for a more long term solution?

In any event, I am replacing the third brake light tomorrow (and doing the sunroof doctor sunroof kit!!). Still not sure what to do about the rear sliding window though. even If I get the glass moving properly, it is still leaking. I guess the best thing to do, like mentioned above, is remove the rear window completely. That way I can properly re-seal it, and clean the window tracks more thoroughly. Right now it is kind of hard to see the tracks

Last edited by Strik9; 11-02-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:34 AM

I am really ready to tackle this rear power sliding window deal. There are two issues, still: Rear power window is difficult to open, needs more lube than just silicone spray. Also the window itself is leaking at the bottom near the top of the rear seat.

I think what I am going to do is remove the entire rear glass assembly. For the rear window power sliding issue part, I am going to clean out the window guide thoroughly, perhaps apply some grease in the tracks? The silicone spray I have been using seems to only work for a few days.

Anyways, I am going to remove all the factory glue from both the window and the cab (goof off?), and then add Butyl tape and reinstall the window.. Any suggestions on what kind of adhesive? I have read that Butyl tape will work. Hope this is a one and done deal, dont want to have to take the window out again lol. Removing the rear seats and dropping the head liner is difficult. thanks for any help

Last edited by Strik9; 11-04-2018 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you also sprayed that Silicone spray into the end of the cable that moves the actual sliding window? I wouldn’t be afraid to spray it liberally.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by ROBinGa
Have you also sprayed that Silicone spray into the end of the cable that moves the actual sliding window? I wouldn’t be afraid to spray it liberally.
Well today I removed the entire rear window w/ motor. I removed all of the original butyl tape from both the cab and the window. That was a nightmare. I used goof off and wasted about 15 microfiber towels and a dozen pairs of latex gloves lol. That old butyl tape/glue was NASTY, especially on the glass side.

Since I had the window out, I thought it would be easier to see the tracks for the sliding window, but since it was still connected to the window motor so I couldnt run the window back and forth. So all I did was soak the top and bottom tracks, and the cable, with silicone spray.

After several hours of removing the nightmarish old butyl tape, I added a layer of fresh butyl tape on the cab side. It wasnt perfect but it didnt have any breaks in it so I think the seal should be good. I spent so much energy just removing the old gunk from both the cab and the glass that by the time I applied the tape I was pretty smoked. Then of course I had to remount the window, re-attach the window motor, run the cables into the clips, re-attach the security box, reattach the middle seat belt mount, put back headliner, b pillars, etc, etc, etc. It was a pretty big job and just the other day I did the sunroof so I think I know this truck inside and out now.

So everything is back together, but I havent run water on it or anything to confirm the seal is good. Of course now that everything is back together it could be hard to see if and where it is leaking. Unfortunately, the rear window still 'grinds' and is slow to open and close, almost worse than it was before I started. overall pretty discouraged over that. I probably should have leaked tested it before I put the headliner back, etc, but it got dark and I just wanted the truck back together. I do feel like the new butyl tape is sufficient

Quick Reply: 2006 F150 Lariat Supercab 5.4 - issues with power sliding rear glass