Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 f150 fx4 electronic issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 f150 fx4 electronic issue?

Hello. This is my first post on this forum and hoping somebody can help. I just replaced my starter due to grinding when trying to start. It stopped working altogether. I started it up many times after the install and had no issues and thought the problem was fixed. Today my wife tried starting it and it ground again and the check gauges light came on but it did not turn over. I'm thinking a voltage drop. I also noticed whitish smoke coming out exhaust and a rough idle. Not sure if this is all ignition issue or not. This truck has 140,000 miles. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Possibly a dud starter. I would first check to be sure clean and tight connections on the starter and battery. I suppose you could do a voltage drop on cable from batt to starter. Test battery as well. All the grinding from the last starter may have chewed up the teeth on the flex plate causing an engagement problem. I doubt its related to the white smoke, rough idle. Probably need a scan tool for that. White smoke could indicate unburned fuel or antifreeze leak into combustion chamber. Gonna need more detail on the problem if you want more help. Good luck
Old 12-11-2013, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I try to start it it'll shutoff right away and ten that check gauges light will come on. I had gone over the connections on the battery and the starter and didn't find any problems. I'll check the battery to make sure it's good. I wasn't sure if the smoke problem woul be related to bad plugs or a problem in the system that controls them. I seem to be losing some of my electrical accessories as well that power doors and the power mirrors now. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: 2006 f150 fx4 electronic issue?