Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 F150 5.4 Misfires when warm

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2006 F150 5.4 Misfires when warm

I haven't posted here for 3 years since I sold my 93 F150. Didn't have a truck for a couple of years and now I bought this 2006 F150 with about 185000 miles. It came from a dealer and since it didn't have any recent maintenance records and I was concerned about the spark plugs, I made a deal with them to increase the price by $600 if they do a tune up.

So they did a tune up, I picked up the truck and I started noticing some misfire at parking lot speeds when the engine is really warmed up. If I come to a complete stop at a stoplight, it doesn't misfire, but if I am moving the truck at low speeds, like backing up to a parking space etc, it starts acting up. I immsdiately took it back to the dealer and here is what they found, based on their notes:

Scanned and found Codes P0022 P0305 P0316 and P0345 (I am sure that there was a P0307 when I checked at Autozone)

Test Drove and Verified that the entier Bank 2 cylinders misfire. Found Stickign VCT Solenoid Bank 3. Found TSP 14-0115 applies.

The dealer is now 99% sure that it is the VCT Solenoids that are faulty and I decide to replace them both. The note continues:

Replaced both VCT Solenoids and seals. Cleared codes and test drove. Vehicle still misfires on Bank 2. Performed PPT HK and Found Oil Pressure is at 15 PSI. Found Faulty VCT Phaser.

Now they want to replace the VCT Phaser, Timing Belt and perhaps the oil pump also for about $3000. I told them I need to think about it. The dealership comped off the $400 that I paid for the solenoids since it didn't fix the issue.

I am concerned that all this may not fix the issue and I'm wondering if I just give up on the engine and get a reman engine. (The dealer gave a ball park estimate of $5000.). Any suggestions? I may be able to get a better rate for making the above mentioned fixes either from the same dealer or from another shop.

I have read a lot on this forum and others and haven't seen a sure fix for the issue.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:40 PM

The latest development is that now the truck is on a limp home mode - No power, no high rpms.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Did they put new coil packs when they replaced the spark plugs?
Old 09-14-2015, 02:34 PM

They did not.

When the sparkplugs were taken out, they said that the spark plugs (and the coils) looked rather new (within a couple of months). So they replaced the plugs anyway but not the coils.

This is my final hope: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-r...-sound-141266/

For some reason I always did searches for this issue but today I find this article on a surefire fix. The best part about this sticky is that it lists part prices and hours. While I won't be able to do it myself, this gives me enough knowledge to make sure that they price my repair at a reasonable rate.

One thing that is heartening is that they were talking about replacing the same stuff as this article is talking about.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:14 PM

Well, I have found the best dealer I have ever seen. They just took the truck back, no questions asked and paid exactly what I paid for. Morrie's Group really mean it when they say "Buy Happy". If anyone is in Minnesota or Western Wisconsin, I recommend them, just based on my experience.

Quick Reply: 2006 F150 5.4 Misfires when warm