Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 F150 4.2 No Start, No Crank

Old 10-20-2015, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 F150 4.2 No Start, No Crank

Hello all,

This is my first post and need a little help if possible.
2006 Ford F150 4.2 6 Cylinder. The truck will not turn over at all. When key is in ignition and turned to "on" you can't here the fuel pump either. Starter and battery all good. Lights come on as normal and gauges work they just say "Check Gauge". I have tested everything: Starter, Battery, Ignition Control Module. The fact that I can't hear the fuel pump turn on leads me to think it may be a connection issue. I've heard many things about the Anti Theft system but the light flashes normally not rapidly. Any help would be appreciated. Also checked all fuses and most relays (PCM).

Thanks, Ben!
Old 10-20-2015, 07:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Take a multimeter directly to the Fuel Pump's power source. If it isn't getting power then track down the cause. If it is getting power but still not running it may be a bad pump.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:47 PM

But would a bad fuel pump cause the starter to not turn over?
Old 10-20-2015, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by bce181
But would a bad fuel pump cause the starter to not turn over?
Doh...didn't consider that. Usually a starter not turning is because it in binding or seized. How old is your starter?
Old 10-20-2015, 07:55 PM

Starter is original. But I took out the starter and tested it, it worked fine. I even bought a new starter just in case and it still will not turn over. Maybe a ground issue? I can only think that the two issues are related because if one was working it would lead me to the other i.e. If fuel pump was turning on I'd say a starting issue, if starter was working and no fuel I'd say fuel pump.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by bce181
Starter is original. But I took out the starter and tested it, it worked fine. I even bought a new starter just in case and it still will not turn over. Maybe a ground issue? I can only think that the two issues are related because if one was working it would lead me to the other i.e. If fuel pump was turning on I'd say a starting issue, if starter was working and no fuel I'd say fuel pump.
Yeah I'm as stuck as you here. Lets let someone else chime in here.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:19 PM

Received 251 Likes on 213 Posts

Had the same issue with a firebird that had the anti-theft system. Worked when I parked my car, came out 10 minutes later, would not work. Turned out to be the ignition switch had 2 wires coming off of it that had one of them broken. Pull the lower shroud off the steering column and see if the ignition switch has those 2 wires and see if either are broken. After that, if no wires are broken, and I have verified all fuses and relays are good, then take a look at the anti-theft system. Do you have another key to try? if not, after the other tests I would just try a new ignition switch. I hate throwing parts at problems just to see, but ignition switches really aren't that much.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:25 PM

I've pulled the column apart, no loose wires. If anyone can educate me on PATS a little more that would be great. My theft indicator light flashes normally. Not solid or blinking fast. Would PATS allow the gauges and all electronics to turn on normally if there is an issue? I understand the basics of PATS but not the fine details. IF my PATS had an issue would the fuel pump engage? What about the starter? On other vehicles I've had that had anti-theft systems the car would turn over but wouldn't start due to no fuel because of no signal being sent to it. But Ford may be a little different, I'm not sure.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:38 PM

Received 251 Likes on 213 Posts

On my firebird, all lights and gauges would come on but no crank at all. I ended up changing the ignition switch because the wires came off of it and plugged in below, I just didn't want to go through splicing the wires and them coming loose again later. New ignition switch worked until a Coca-Cola truck ran a red light and totaled the car. Good luck, maybe you can multimeter any wires coming off the ignition switch and check for continuity or any out of the ordinary fluxes in resistance? Also, do you have or have tried another key?
Old 10-20-2015, 08:45 PM

Yeah I've tried two keys. I bought a new ignition tumbler with keys, but I think they will have to be programmed to the PATS before I can go down that road. Does PATS interfere with fuel pump AND starter? Or one or the other?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 F150 4.2 No Start, No Crank