Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 F-150 XLT 4x4 winter tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 F-150 XLT 4x4 winter tire questions

Hello,
I am planning on buying an 06 f-150 XLT 5.4L 4x4 and the one I'm looking at will need new tires by winter. Right now it has the same tires that it comes with stock, but they are getting a little low on tread. With winter coming up I have decided to get a set of winter tires to put on. I'm not sure which type of tires I should get being this is my first time buying winter tires. My driving in the winter will be a mix of snow/slush/compacted snow covered roads in town, and long trips on dry pavement (200-400+ miles every week, or other week) on the highway. Where I live it gets really cold and they normally only plow the main roads, then about a week after the storm they do the side streets.

I'd like to get a set of tires that will make me more confident when I'm driving in bad conditions without settling on bad ride quality on dry pavement. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:58 AM

I am partial to the toyo open country A/T, 285/65/18...not sure about winter performance. www.tirerack.com has a lot of information on winter tires. There is a new good year ultra grip designed specifically for winter.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:39 AM
2008 F150 XLT Supercab4X4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard good things about Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires. They ssem to have a good tread wear rating. Many people seem very happy with these. I have a friend who put these on his F350 4x4 and he is very happy with them. They can stay on all year long. His cost was $200.00 each for 17 inch tires, mounted balanced & warranty.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:11 PM

I am running Nokian Vatiiva's on my 2WD. Our local tire distributor suggested these over the the Toyo's. I only have experience w/ them on dry roads so far, as I have only had them for a month 1/2. However, while they look like a straight out snow tire, they are very quiet, and ride very well. They also have very deep tread. The distributor said these had better feed back than the Toyo's in winter conditions, treadwear, and noise. Just an alternative to consider..... These were also a little cheaper too.

My experience w/ goodyears is that they're generally great for the first 1/2 of treadlife, then the traction deminishes quickly. I have also noted in reviews that people claimed a loss of gas mileage too. That too has also been my experience with them on a previous Ranger I had.
I have also had Firestone Destination AT's and loved them! When we had an unexpected storm a couple falls back, I had no reservations about going out. They were excellent. They're also one of the best rated tires on The Tire Rack.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:55 PM
stirring it up a little

Location: from fenton mi. currently lima ohio for school and work

the toyo is A/T is a great tire but personally if your lookin for a more agressive all terrain, the BF a/t is great in the snow but makes noise, The nitto terra grapplers i think would be ideal i have them on my work truck a 2500hd and they ride good and get great traction, there about the same as the toyo buy just cheaper, but if your lookin for a tire thats gonna last a long time and be good in about everything except mud the michelien ltx m/s is the way to go they might be expensive but the will ride the best out of all of these and last the longest

Quick Reply: 2006 F-150 XLT 4x4 winter tire questions