Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 5.4V8 Cylinder 1 Misfire

Old 04-26-2013, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 5.4V8 Cylinder 1 Misfire

Just bought a 94k mile 2006 F150 Supercab from a local small dealer. Bought it as is, as it drove just fine for the 30 minutes I took it around for the test drive. Looked clean, engine looked fine and idled fine (a little bit of the noise you would get with that engine and mileage) but nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Cue 3 days later, started it up to drive and it ran fine for a bit, then started surging pretty bad and losing a good bit of power off the line. Check engine light flashing. I thought it felt/sounded like a misfire (rough idle). Once the engine warmed up it was fine. I plugged it into my odb2 computer when I got home and read p0301 (cyl 1 misfire).

I did some searching and it seems this is a common(ish) problem. But now begins the diagnosis phase.

I'm going to start off by changing all the plugs since who knows when they were done previously - what plug should I use for this engine? (don't have the shop manual). Also what order are the cylinders when you are looking at the engine from the front?

If that doesn't fix it, I'm going to change out the coils. Again, any recommendations on what coils I should use?

If this doesn't fix it, then I likely will be back here. :-)

Is there any downloadable shop manual for this thing?

Thanks again!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:01 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
Just bought a 94k mile 2006 F150 Supercab from a local small dealer. Bought it as is, as it drove just fine for the 30 minutes I took it around for the test drive. Looked clean, engine looked fine and idled fine (a little bit of the noise you would get with that engine and mileage) but nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Cue 3 days later, started it up to drive and it ran fine for a bit, then started surging pretty bad and losing a good bit of power off the line. Check engine light flashing. I thought it felt/sounded like a misfire (rough idle). Once the engine warmed up it was fine. I plugged it into my odb2 computer when I got home and read p0301 (cyl 1 misfire).

I did some searching and it seems this is a common(ish) problem. But now begins the diagnosis phase.

I'm going to start off by changing all the plugs since who knows when they were done previously - what plug should I use for this engine? (don't have the shop manual). Also what order are the cylinders when you are looking at the engine from the front?

If that doesn't fix it, I'm going to change out the coils. Again, any recommendations on what coils I should use?

If this doesn't fix it, then I likely will be back here. :-)

Is there any downloadable shop manual for this thing?

Thanks again!
Cylinder 1 is passenger side front, 4 is passenger side firewall. 5 front in driver side 8 firewall driver side
Check the sticky in this section, some prefer the newer spark plug from motor raft others like me going champion. Read the sticky.
Coils, original is better, replace only the one that is faulty. No need to replace all
Old 04-27-2013, 02:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had this problem alot let me guess you are getting a jerking feeling around 45ish mph? I changed out my coil plug and the problem went away. I have an 04 with 143k miles and the coil plugs are starting to go bad in mine and i have changed out about 3 of them so far not to mention i gotten 2 of them wet from wheeling. In all cases i got the same feeling on how the truck has performed.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by muddyF-150
Had this problem alot let me guess you are getting a jerking feeling around 45ish mph? I changed out my coil plug and the problem went away. I have an 04 with 143k miles and the coil plugs are starting to go bad in mine and i have changed out about 3 of them so far not to mention i gotten 2 of them wet from wheeling. In all cases i got the same feeling on how the truck has performed.
Yup. This is exactly what I am seeing. Got it to around 30-40 and it started jerking and the check engine light started blinking. Kept doing it for about 3-4 minutes then stopped.

Nice, so I won't bother swapping plugs just yet - I'll just do the coil for cyl 1 and see if that fixes it.

It looks like it would be a pain to get to the plugs closest to the firewall...
Old 04-28-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is a pain in the ***. Just make sure that you get the coils seated all the way down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 5.4V8 Cylinder 1 Misfire