Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 SCREW 5.4 P0345 and P0349

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 SCREW 5.4 P0345 and P0349

I cant pass emissions with these codes and not able to find out what is causing them. I know there are several posts on the phasers going bad and at one time i did have the rough idle. That being said, after replacing both cam sensors, the leads (belt split and sliced originals) and both VCT solenoids with Ford parts it has been running fine other than I have a throttle plate that sometimes sticks. Seems to be mostly Bank 2 however occasionally Bank 1 has given codes as well. Is there anything else i should try before i start looking at the phasers? I have attached pics from the scanner. I don't know enough about these readings to know if there is something obvious that i should try first. I love this truck from the minute i broke my first spark plug, but this is really frustrating me to no end.

First time poster so please take it easy on me... LOL
Old 08-09-2017, 08:42 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

P0349 Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Intermittent
P0345 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction Bank 2
Both electrical failures

Seems your bad belt damaged plug and or wires , get new plug and splice in . If it damaged sensor it sure screwed the plug up .
What do you mean an occasional throttle plate sticking Did you take it off and clean it with throttle body cleaner .
My 05 had the bad throttle body starting with a 3 new one revised starts with an 8 . Electronics that decodes pulses from pcm on motor circuit board intermittent . New OEM ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-2005...3R7o8Q&vxp=mtr
New model and OEM select a good source .
These are not failing phasor codes . You may have reversed polarity or have a bad connection . Pcm is seeing wiring fault .
Consider yourself throttled--- new guy .
The following 2 users liked this post by redfishtd:
Jamieat (08-09-2017), psmckelvey (08-10-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 10:37 PM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by redfishtd
P0349 Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Intermittent
P0345 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction Bank 2
Both electrical failures

Seems your bad belt damaged plug and or wires , get new plug and splice in . If it damaged sensor it sure screwed the plug up .
What do you mean an occasional throttle plate sticking Did you take it off and clean it with throttle body cleaner .
My 05 had the bad throttle body starting with a 3 new one revised starts with an 8 . Electronics that decodes pulses from pcm on motor circuit board intermittent . New OEM ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NEW-2005...3R7o8Q&vxp=mtr
New model and OEM select a good source .
These are not failing phasor codes . You may have reversed polarity or have a bad connection . Pcm is seeing wiring fault .
Consider yourself throttled--- new guy .
^^^
What he said!!!!
Old 08-10-2017, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow yall really know a lot about trucks
Old 08-10-2017, 01:20 PM

I have a new throttle body coming in from Tasca in the next couple of days. This started kind of randomly with the plate opening and closing repeatedly, you can see it on the TPS live readings. I can fix it temporary (until restarting) by starting the truck and jumping it into drive with a little bit of buck.

I took TB apart and even tried a new Dorman throttle motor and no luck, worked better with the original motor so went back to it. I wonder if the TPS sensor is bad? The new TB comes with both the sensor and the motor so figured for the extra $ i would get full package.

Regarding the codes, i did replace the plugs and i think at first i had the two leads on each sensor reversed. I originally did it half *** and in a hurry and I continued to have the codes and some idle issues so i went back and did it the right way, cleaned up the wire, connected with solder and shrink hose to cover the connection. Thats when i go to thinking i may have them reversed. I had a heck of a time finding how these should go and i may still have them jacked up (ended up with orange/grey wire going to pin 1). I could reverse them again, but is there a way to confirm first?
Old 08-27-2017, 09:54 AM

Installed the new throttle body and a new starter, still had the same codes. Last thing i could think of was my PCM, so off to the dealership.

Now for the embarrassing part, turns out the issue was my wires were crossed going to the cam shaft sensor. Go figure! I did so much research on this when i was tying in the new plugs (because the wire colors did not line up) and really thought i had those setup correctly.

Overall good news for me, no lights after about 50 miles and hope to get the emission done on Monday. BTW - dealership did me a solid. They diagnosed the issue, updated my PCM and fixed my wiring issue for under $200 which included a couple of hours in labor.
The following users liked this post:
redfishtd (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 11:38 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Good feed back ,you can bet this will help someone else

Glad you got your new throttle body in . Very good dealer to fix it without gouging you .
Losing a belt could do this to any one of us and it's bad enough trying to fight a belt on one,especially on the side of the road with shroud on . I still envy the guys who have electric fans .
Here's another reason to keep a fresh belt on .