Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 F150 flywheel/Starter went, tech question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 12:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2005 F150 flywheel/Starter went, tech question?

Hey guys, my flywheel seems to be messed up and has some missing teeth. Looks like I need a new flywheel, read around and just gonna put a napa flywheel since no real bad reviews anywhere. Gonna get a new starter too, I am wondering though how many hours it should take the dealer to replace these parts???

I have warranty and they are not really wanting to pay the dealer the full hours they are asking. This is a tech question honestly, any help so I know what to complain about when I get there. If it matters my warranty is covering the majority of parts and labor, plus the a/c automatic head unit broke. They are paying for that part which is crazy expensive in full and the labor so not that bad.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:30 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

4.5 to 6.5 hours book time depending on if the truck is 4x4 or not and another hour for the starter.

Most ex warranty companies only want to pay about 1/2 labor just for a general rule of thumb. ($40-50/hr)
Old 09-23-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea thats pretty much what happened, they wanted to pay the rate of the factory warranty, and Ford charges a higher labor amount for paying customers. Lol What a business I tell ya.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same exact work done to my 05. Took an independent shop about 6 hours of labor to do the replacement. Just throwing this out there, I replaced my starter 3 times with a NAPA genuine refurbished starter, and all 3 times it failed, causing damage to my flywheel. Instead of taking the risk again, I bought a OEM Ford starter and flywheel from Tascaparts.com Cost me a little more money, but I knew I was getting a genuine OEM part. Good luck man!
Old 09-24-2016, 12:26 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by AKSCREW
I had the same exact work done to my 05. Took an independent shop about 6 hours of labor to do the replacement. Just throwing this out there, I replaced my starter 3 times with a NAPA genuine refurbished starter, and all 3 times it failed, causing damage to my flywheel. Instead of taking the risk again, I bought a OEM Ford starter and flywheel from Tascaparts.com Cost me a little more money, but I knew I was getting a genuine OEM part. Good luck man!
That cost you a lot more money having to do it 3 times
Old 09-26-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
That cost you a lot more money having to do it 3 times
It sure did. They were covered under NAPA warranty, but it was strange how they failed. The sun/planetary gear under the starter bendix would grenade causing the starter gear not to full engage when you hit the starter. When it did this, it would mash the ring gear and thats how I ended up replacing all the components.

Quick Reply: 2005 F150 flywheel/Starter went, tech question?