Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 F150 - #7 cylinder plug issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 F150 - #7 cylinder plug issue

#7 plug come loose and was barely threaded into the head. I pulled the plug and you can see the top of the plug is missing. The plug is the OEM Motorcraft replacement and was only 6 months old. Use torque wrench when installing. Any ideas on how to get that metal top out of the cylinder? Would a shop vac work?

Old 10-19-2017, 12:08 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

Turn the truck on for a few seconds with the hole open. It should push the debris out. Nothing else you can do unless you pull the head. This is common when people changed the OEM plugs that broke.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Are you certain the piece is even in there? It is very likely that it was broken up and blown out the exhaust.
Personally I would be borrowing an inspection camera and having a look inside. If it is still there I would not start the truck but attempt to use something to get it out. Use a wrench to get the piston to TDC and then something like this to get it

Old 10-19-2017, 02:15 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 339 Likes on 253 Posts

I had something similar, all 8 plugs broke and during extraction all the electrodes were snapped off and there was porcelain in the cylinders as well.

I wanted to be sure 100% that I didn't get anything in the engine that I couldn't get out(I blew it out best I could with compressed air and also shop vac). I still didn't think it was all out. I definitely recommend getting some kind of inspection camera.

I bit the bullet and had it towed to the dealer, and $800 later they cleaned out all the cylinders for me. They used a camera to inspect every cylinder, and either blew out or vacuumed out each cylinder to get out all the pieces and verified it was all out, I think it was 7 hours of labor or something like that. They told me there was still a bunch of parts in there when I brought it in.

If I had to do this again, I'd buy a camera, and attached a small hose to a shop vac and inspect, vacuum, inspect until you see nothing. For $800 I could have bought a camera.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got an endoscope off amazon that is wifi and uses my iPhone for the screen. Not bad for $35, but I can only see down into the cylinder and not up towards the valves.

Take a look at the images I took, is a valve supposed to be in view while looking down into the plug hole?

Old 10-24-2017, 02:41 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Thats some serious blow by on that plug

It acts like a blow torch or a cutting torch. Yep -torque those plugs in 25-28 foot pounds not by feel .
You are looking at a piston-- the valves are in the head . Your camera would have to be turned around 180 degrees to see valves .
I would guess the burnt parts of the plug have been pushed out the exhaust . I have used a vacuum tube to pull out broken plug parts on first oem plug change . But after all those cycles I would doubt anything left in there that you could get out .
You should replace that boot for sure .