Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 F150 4,6 v8 stx misfiring issue

Old 01-25-2018, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 F150 4,6 v8 stx misfiring issue

Hello guys I’m new to this site , I’ve been having issues with a truck I just bought possibly 2 month ago . So I realized the truck starting shaking pretty bad and eventually check engine light came up had it scanned. By advance to see if they could let me know what codes it had . And apparently was misfiring on cylinder 2 & 5. So I figured might as well have plugs Changed s and also went ahead change oil and oil filter, changing the plugs were bad , some had bad grime build up that socket wouldn’t sit correctly onplugs to extract , eventually after using air hose and spray to try and be able to clean out a bit helped take them out . I figured this was definitely the problem and expected possibly rough start at beginning if any grime went in cylinder , and yes issue continued for quite a while ran it abt 50-60 miles and still same issue shaking , so then I replaced the coil boots cuz some did seem cracked , ohh and brand new spark plug just placed in on cylinder two , was black seems was not burning , we played with coils to make sure none were bad and noticed that pulling 2 or 5 coil white engine running it didn’t make the shaking worse , we changed spark plugs and coils to different cylinder and issue didn’t follow them same cylinder was the issue . We gave up and just took it to shop to see if they could figure it out and now apparently cylinder 2 has no compression , and whole engine is a bit low on compression throughout all cylinders, I was told I would need new engine and man I just bought this truck 2 months ago and was not wanting to spend 3800 they quoted me for new engine ? So my question is would I need new engine or could it be something else I’ve been reading threads couldn’t find a conclusive answer , can compression loss be caused by anything else , a vacuum leak or intake ? Head ? gasket , I’m really not looking forward to spending that much for new engine and labor but if I have to I guess I will , but I wanna make sure that’s the only way to fix ? Or if anyone has any other experience with this and found out what issue was ? Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-25-2018, 05:41 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

A compression test is a start, not a finished diagnostic. "A bit low" across all cylinders doesn't mean much without numbers.

The cylinder with no compression can be checked with a borescope to check the valves and piston top, no compression can be anything from a holed piston to a bad valve.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gone postal
A compression test is a start, not a finished diagnostic. "A bit low" across all cylinders doesn't mean much without numbers.

The cylinder with no compression can be checked with a borescope to check the valves and piston top, no compression can be anything from a holed piston to a bad valve.
Thanks for the response ? Any idea how much something like that could run me ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 F150 4,6 v8 stx misfiring issue