Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 5.4l woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 5.4l woes

Im am new to this forum but I am not new to the 5.4L woes. To start I Bought my F150 in November of 2004 brand spanking new as a crew cab xlt 4x4. I had a landscaping business of which I divested myself of in 2010 but continued to work. I am now retired from the rat race. My truck now has 259,000 miles. I have replaced the cam phasers, timing chains, oil pump, water pump, spark plugs, coils, VTC sensors, O2 sensors, cam shaft sensors, crankshaft sensor along with all easy to reach sensors on top and am throwing the following codes if and when I can get it started: P0345, P0349, and one with an O2 sensor lean. When running it backfires for a while and one of those gutted the muffler. I can't afford to not fix it cause I can't afford a new one or a used one that will eventually have the same problems. I have changed the oil and filters religiously. This old 150 has worked hard all of it life hauling all over Northwest Arkansas, Eastern Oklahoma, and Southern Missouri. I know this trucks genealogy. She is down and sick and I miss her! Even though she's marked as a 4x4 XLT her vin say's she is a FX4 with skid plates and all. I've about run out of money and I am at my witts end. HELP!!!!
Old 01-25-2017, 07:52 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default I'm afraid you might be close to a long block

259k is a lot for this engine . But since you have done so much to it I can see what you mean .
Bank 2 cam position sensor wiring harness needs inspection . Drivers side is a common thread ,Vct may have been plugged up broken screens etc .
Even using 3k to 5k oil changes with syn oil any dirt jams up phasors and vcts .
This engine uses dirty engine oil to hydraulically change cam position .
Engine flush breaks a lot of stuff loose and makes things worse .
I don't know if you had broken guides or replaced them . I failed to use old iron tensioners instead of new plastic ones , if I go back in I will change them . Did you clean out oil pan and oil pickup , those plastic guide pieces clog everything up . Did you put a new melling oil pump in her ?
Did you use oem phasors? Look at you tube jasper engine oil pump failure . At 140k I also changed out all rollers and lash adjusters , mine had thrown one number 8 intake roller to the side . Advice is to change them all .
Just giving you some Ideas if you are going back in .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulEJfcQ7HhA