Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 4.6L to 5.4L swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 04:38 PM
ACC. LLC.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 4.6L to 5.4L swap

Ok, so here goes. I've got a 2005 Ford F150 with 104,500 miles on it. It's always ran good but I'll admit it, I've ran it pretty hard. Well, its tapping and getting weak and I think I'd rather swap the engine than do the head job my mechanic suggested. He also said run it and it might make another 100,000 miles without blowin it. "Just kinda... random." He said. Well, I want to swap the motor when this thing goes snap crackle pop. I can get another 4.6L with 50,000K on it for $1300. Comes with a 6 month labor and part warranty. I know I can get that motor, throw some headers on it and a decent cam setup and get a tougher engine than the one I've. But I'm thinking I want more torque to start with . I'm thinking 5.4. and Because I'm thinking 5.4 I'm thinking 5.4 superchaged HD motor. I can get all of these engines for a great deal and I've got enough coin to get them now. I was just wondering how elaborate a 4.6 to 5.4 swap is. I wanna use the same year motor and all, just take the next step. Would anyone out there be able to help me with some simple suggestions or advice on this. What would be needed for the swap? Is it better to save some money and get a 4.6 and build it a little. Or stop messing around and get a supercharged 5.4 and torque converter and ecu and exhaust and just go all out? What would you guys suggest. I don't care if you tell me to burn the truck into nothing and get a new one. You won't offend me with your comments. If I decide to do it, I'll post pictures all over and make a decent thread out of it following people's advice.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:49 PM
M&D

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Ive never done an efi engine swap on an f150 but if its anything like a ranger you will need minimum from a donor truck: complete engine, trans, ecu, and engine wiring harness. And also possibly/probably - driveline and radiator. mayyyybe engine mounts and trans crossmember. In other words, you cant just get the engine itself and drop it in. It is ALOT of work but fairly straightforward. Worst part will be the wiring/sensors.

Id do a new 4.6 short block and twisted wedge heads if I were in your shoes. But thats just me.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:52 PM
ACC. LLC.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M&D
Ive never done an efi engine swap on an f150 but if its anything like a ranger you will need minimum from a donor truck: complete engine, trans, ecu, and engine wiring harness. And also possibly/probably - driveline and radiator. mayyyybe engine mounts and trans crossmember. In other words, you cant just get the engine itself and drop it in. It is ALOT of work but fairly straightforward. Worst part will be the wiring/sensors.

Id do a new 4.6 short block and twisted wedge heads if I were in your shoes. But thats just me.
Thanks for the input, M&D. One vote 4.6. I appreciate your response.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:25 PM
just a tough work truck

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Id do a new 4.6 short block and twisted wedge heads if I were in your shoes. But thats just me.[/QUOTE]

x2

Quick Reply: 2005 4.6L to 5.4L swap