Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 FX4 Power Steering

Old 01-12-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 2004 FX4 Power Steering

I got my truck back from the repair of a bent rod (the chain guides broke, jumped time and bent a rod) and the guy who fixed it said the pully/power steering pump wasn't right so put a new one on. He charged me $58 for the pump so the price was ok.
Saturday while turning a corner the power steering stopped working. No noise, whine, grinding or anything it just stopped working. I can't see much of a leak on it anywhere, just a small leak on one bottom metal pressure fitting as in wet, so could it be the power steering pump is just bad as those things happen or something else? I checked the steering column and it looks ok with no binding or noise when turning the wheel.

It was a little low when I got it back so topped the fluid with Mercon ATF like the book says.

Any ideas on this or can someone point me to a thread?
Old 01-15-2017, 02:01 PM

Received 247 Likes on 212 Posts

Kinda strange that it just stopped working all of a sudden. When you say that the guy who fixed it said it had the wrong power steering pump/pulley on it, wasn't the one he took off the original pump? i'm betting that when they went to put the pulley back on the old pump, they tried with a hammer and it broke the gears inside of the old one and had to get a new pump (seen it happen with other people) and they may have tried the same thing with the new pump and it caused internal problems. Either way, they put a new pump on and now its not working, have you gone back to see them about it? Let us know how it goes and good luck.
Tom
Old 01-15-2017, 02:47 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Exactly what I would do.. go back to the dude that installed it and ask him to fix it correctly.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:22 PM

No, what the guy said was something like the pulley wasn't installed right which most likely was the case since when I had it apart and it didn't work right, timing stuff, I just put it together enough to get it over to a shop with all the pieces. I'm assuming he thought something was wrong with the pump and put on a new one.

I ended up getting one and doing it myself. It cost $58 the same as the engine place charged me which was good as it was the same one so he didn't charge me any upfee on it, just cost of the part. Put it on and it seems to work fine. The one I took off, the replaced one, when I pulled the pulley off with the tool the entire shaft came out with it so maybe it was just a bad reman unit. Instead of waiting I don't know how long to get the truck back I just did it myself which was fun since I"ve not really messed with one before but was not as bad as I thought.

Thanks for the replies. Now, onto the rear diff.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:50 AM

Yeah, I read that I could replace the Mercon ATF with Mercon V in the power steering and when I did it seemed to me to not feel quite right. I flushed it and changed back to Mercon ATF as the book was pretty specific about it.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by diver64
Yeah, I read that I could replace the Mercon ATF with Mercon V in the power steering and when I did it seemed to me to not feel quite right. I flushed it and changed back to Mercon ATF as the book was pretty specific about it.
Mercon V is an ATF, it is semi-synthetic and perfectly fine to use in the PS. AFAIK, plain ol' Mercon has been discontinued for several years now.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:21 AM

AFAIK? Decipher please? The manual was pretty specific on the difference in Mercon and Mercon V (yes, i know they are both ATF) and where to use them. Has Ford changed their mind on this?
Old 01-29-2017, 02:50 PM

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Sorry..."as far as I know"...My owner's manual for an '07 states to use Mercon V
Old 01-29-2017, 05:05 PM

HaHa. Sorry. I'm not up on the current acronyms. I bought Dexron/Mercon. The 04 Manual in the truck specifies Mercon not Mercon V.

Search this Thread