Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 ford f150 running rough after driving and putting in park

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:58 PM
fxmf4

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Default 2004 ford f150 running rough after driving and putting in park

Ok my 04 f150 is running kinda rough when put in park check engine light came on going to put my scanner on it in about in hour. Do you guys think its a coil plug or would it be something else I no on my 00 I had before this did this and was replaced the coil plug and it ran like brand new. Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 04-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Murdered Out f150!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea i had that problem. Replaced the coil andd has been good since
Old 04-10-2012, 06:00 PM
fxmf4

Originally Posted by windham14
yea i had that problem. Replaced the coil andd has been good since
Yea I scanned it and it came up with 2 codes one was retarded cam timing or something like that and the other one was a sensor something to do with cam sensor or something. And I called a local parts store and he said I would have take some cover off and do something. Do you guys think hes BS me.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:56 PM
fxmf4

Anybody else no about those codes.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

you have the 5.4 so it could be a bad cam phaser, i have the 4.6 and don't have cam phasers i don't know much about them other than they go bad and need replaceing sooner or later.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Post the actual Pxxxx codes.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:54 PM
fxmf4

Originally Posted by kevhead75
Post the actual Pxxxx codes.
P0012 intake camshaft timing bank 1 over retarded, p0340 camshaft position sensor a circuit (bank 1 or single sensor.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Reset the code and see if if was a one off......but

When did you last change the oil and filter and do you have a Motorcraft oil filter fitted.

Agree that the 5.4 has the cam phasers and they can fail and rattle. These are hydraulically actuated devices that adjust the position of the camshaft to maintain accurate valve opening at all reve ranges.

This engine is very sensitive to poor oil pressure at the top of the engine. If you use anything but 5w20 oil and motorcraft oil filter you run the risk of poor oil flow to the phasers, the chain tensioners and the camshafts etc.

Listen to the engine carefully, is there any obvious ticking or rattling from the top end or the front of the engine? get some one to rev it slowly up to 1200-1400 revs whilst you listen, if there is a rattle up to those revs but it goes away, then you could have a worn cam phaser......but if you do, then other timing gear will be worn too and its a big job to sort it out.

Seach for a great article started by S_Vares - its called something like The final thread to solve 5.4 engine ticking etc.....lots of people having this issue.

But, you need to faultfind it carefully and dont assume thats the problem.

Plugs, coils and all 8 connectors need to be checked, if you have a misfire you may not get a CEL but scan the ECU for fault codes.

Cam position sensors are easy to change, but often they are not the cause of a bank timing fault code.

Change your plugs (agian check the plug change problem threads on here)

find out all you can and report back here.

good luck
Old 04-13-2012, 12:25 AM
fxmf4

Originally Posted by Markdas
Reset the code and see if if was a one off......but

When did you last change the oil and filter and do you have a Motorcraft oil filter fitted.

Agree that the 5.4 has the cam phasers and they can fail and rattle. These are hydraulically actuated devices that adjust the position of the camshaft to maintain accurate valve opening at all reve ranges.

This engine is very sensitive to poor oil pressure at the top of the engine. If you use anything but 5w20 oil and motorcraft oil filter you run the risk of poor oil flow to the phasers, the chain tensioners and the camshafts etc.

Listen to the engine carefully, is there any obvious ticking or rattling from the top end or the front of the engine? get some one to rev it slowly up to 1200-1400 revs whilst you listen, if there is a rattle up to those revs but it goes away, then you could have a worn cam phaser......but if you do, then other timing gear will be worn too and its a big job to sort it out.

Seach for a great article started by S_Vares - its called something like The final thread to solve 5.4 engine ticking etc.....lots of people having this issue.

But, you need to faultfind it carefully and dont assume thats the problem.

Plugs, coils and all 8 connectors need to be checked, if you have a misfire you may not get a CEL but scan the ECU for fault codes.

Cam position sensors are easy to change, but often they are not the cause of a bank timing fault code.

Change your plugs (agian check the plug change problem threads on here)

find out all you can and report back here.

good luck
I will do th rev deal tommarow ill have my friend rev it up, and I took it took it to one of those local lube and go places and I asked them if they used motorcraft oil filter and they said they dont have those there kind was the exact same and then they ripped me out of a quart of oil and I noticed it like a week ago and I had some quakerstate 10w 20 or 30 cant remember but I put a quart of that in it. Because I rather have enought oil than to be low I figured 1 quart wouldnt hurt nothen.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:52 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

do the easy stuff first, id change the filter at least to a proper motorcraft filter and you can change the oil in 20 mins.

It may also be worth cleaning the throttle body and you can also disconnect the battery and turn on the headlights to drain all power from the circuit, which when you reconnect the battery, will force the ECU to re-learn the engine settings......it could as easy as that.

Quick Reply: 2004 ford f150 running rough after driving and putting in park