Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 F150 jumped timing NO compression drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 F150 jumped timing NO compression drivers side

Questions? Wondering if this has happen to anyone else. Lost compression in 5,6,7 and 8 good compression on passanger side. Funny thing is I just had it all torn apart last month. Had chain guides that were broken so I tore it apart, replaced , cam gear/phasers both side, new chains, new tensioners and guides.. While I was there I replaced the oil pump with the melling pump. I put it together and checked oil pressure, prier to putting it all back together. noticed excessive leak from front cam cap drivers side but thought well it ran before and I wasn't having any issue so I put it together and ran it. Now a month later I decide to take a vacation and tow my trailer. Did not get very far before I broke down on the side of the road. Towed truck home and did compression check. No Compression drivers side. First thought Head gasket but all 4 cylinders seamed odd to me. Pulled the covers off today looks like timing chain jumped a few teeth. Going to find out exactly how many tomorrow. Motor still turns over and I see the valves going up and down so hoping I did not bend anything. Questions: can the head be repaired ? I was thinking old school we use to line hone the crank journals so why couldn't the head be done the same way. Is there a easy repair like filing the cap to tighten the clearances plati gauging it and then selling the truck really quick? ANy other ideas for a jumped timing chain other then a bad tensioner. Motor does have 220,000 miles. but I recently replaced the main, rod and thrust bearings so the pickup is clean. Motor had quite a bit of sludge but while I had the pan down replacing the bearings I cleaned some of it up and as I stated it has new oil pump.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:30 PM

Default No compression

Thanks that is good

Last edited by Bigaa31; 11-08-2017 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bigaa31
Had the same thing happened to me did not have no compression on right Bank. Woke up one morning to go to work and soon as I turn the key over the truck just started running really rough it happened in my driveway didn't have no option but to drive it to work. Then soon I find out that right side of my motor was dead local shop was trying to get me to buy a new motor. Right now I'm in the process of changing out all the timing components cam phasers VCT solenoids water pump oil pump I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping that this is going to be the fix I just purchased the truck back in July haven't put 4,000 miles on it 2005 FX4 5.4 3v.. the motor does have 186,000 miles on it I'm not knocking Ford but it is a difficult process on changing all this out I had a 2010 Ford F150 that had a hundred and eighty-six thousand miles on it ran great until I totaled it. I'm just hoping that I didn't bend anything or knock something out of place I'm taking it it did jumped time because of the guides being broke and tensioner failure at the shop that's what they told me that it jumped timing due to sludge build-up but there wasn't much sludge buildup for being how old the truck is.. but if you have any advice on something I should do before I button it up I appreciate it if you let me know thanks you
In my case the alignment pin/ sheer pin on the phazer / cam gear drivers side broke. When I removed the cam gear the pin was completely broken off. A big chuck of material was broken off along with the pin. The gear literally rotated on the cam and the valves were opening during compression stroke. I had no damage to the valves. I replaced the phazer and problem solved.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:47 AM

Default You give me hope

Man unfortunately the same thing just happened to me I just took the Pacers off might timing chain kit of course is running behind won't be here till Monday but power steering issues that needed to be fixed the oil pan I pulled it and I still ain't got it down it's a pain but just the faults on these F-150s I had a 10 never had one problem with it but yeah back to the phasers moving I took the passenger side off right Bank and I guess that the scams was having some issues I have broken off guides everywhere all the tensioner failed it's it's been a mess but somehow the cam jump why can't a compression build up or it was just in a bind that face or what not I'm still going with it it didn't move but much to hope the mess anything up driver side I had a little bit different locking it down but it's still wanted to move because of the spring failure I watch YouTube videos after videos I think too much where it's affecting me now LOL but you did set your key way at 12 when uninstalling the old timing set and then I guess before you install a new one you'll said 11 + 6 just curious man I guess you can get back to me but I appreciate you replying back thanks