Go Back  Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2004 - 2008 Ford F150
2004 f150 4.6 head/intake gasket replacement >

2004 f150 4.6 head/intake gasket replacement

Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 f150 4.6 head/intake gasket replacement

Old 02-13-2019, 11:37 AM

Default 2004 f150 4.6 head/intake gasket replacement

So I'm getting ready to replace the passenger head on my 2004 f150 4.6l. I've gotten all the parts over the last week or 2 and I think I'm ready to go this weekend. I have a re-manufactured complete head, head gasket, intake gasket set, exhaust manifold gasket set, and valve cover set. Is there anything I'm missing? Any words of advice that would be helpful before I start. I have a heated shop which will be nice since it's about 20-30 degrees outside. My only concern so far is if the exhaust manifold bolts are gonna cooperate. I'm going to try and leave the timing cover on but have the pullers and everything else if that doesn't work out.

I have 0 compression in the #1 cylinder and a little coolant condensation around the #1 hole. After doing a compression/leak down test it seems to be coming from somewhere in the head. Compression across the 2-8 cylinders is all good and in spec for both wet/dry compression test. So I'm guessing a intake gasket failure combined with either a bent/hanging valve or worn valve valve guides or broken spring. I'll update as I take everything apart.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:03 PM

Keep all surfaces CLEAN. Very important. Use brake cleaner to wipe each surface just prior to installing the gasket.

Also, check your existing manifold for cracks, existing or impending, and repair/replace if any found.

Replace existing exhaust manifold studs with stainless studs/nuts.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:10 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Default Why leave timing cover on

You are surely going to have to re-time it .You are going to need all new head bolts as they are one time use . I would think your cam gear bolts are also one time(,mine are cam phaser bolts} . Crank pulley bolt is also one time .Clean head bolt holes out good so you don't snap one off . Some head bolts require sealant ?? Watch those intake bolts they usually are two step torque in inch pounds . Cam caps have to go back on cams exactly how they came off .
I have a 5.4 so I'm not real clear on a 4.6 A lot of these bolts are torque to yield-- one time use and are two step torques . Snapping a intake bolt or head bolt is not unusual lately some sites give you ft pounds instead of inch pounds like on intake . Some do not refer to two step torque .Best to refer to ford instructions.The 5.4 torques intake down in a pattern first at 1.5 pound then at 7.4 pounds . That head needs to be installed with no valves down and correctly installed at timing point as I'm sure its an interference engine like the 5.4 . I am not on top of how you do it on 4.6 . On my 5.4--- I work at timing point Crank dot at six o'clock and install cams last on top of rollers with cam facing correctly as per ford book on 1 and 5 cyl . Of course your chain links have to be correctly installed . I don't fool with that valve tool . You just have to know what you are doing . Can't be done with timing cover on . Some 4.6 guys can give you more help . If you are not careful with that valve tool you can knock a valve loose and down it goes .
On the 5.4 we replace exhaust studs with stainless studs/high temp nickel anti seize . Ford tech malukoco and south main auto on you tube are great sources esp on broken exhaust stud removal .
Old 02-13-2019, 06:21 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Default Drain all that coolant or you are going to have a mess

I wouldn't say this if that didn't happen a few months ago to a fella . You going to need oil change also . maybe plugs and boots .Get you some rags ready to soak up fuel from rails after you leave battery off for quite a while to get pressure down . Use cheap oil and do another change in a week or so ,junk will get in there .Treat it just like a new break in .Inspect your coolant crossover pipe .
Old 02-14-2019, 11:31 AM

I just installed new plugs/coils/injectors so I'll be pulling those off the old head and intake and reusing them...I'll have to pick up some head/cam/pulley bolts today or Friday. I've degreased and cleaned the engine bay (It's nicer to work on stuff not covered in grease). Got my stock of brake clean, anti seize, oil, coolant, ect. The new head is complete and all the caps are torqued to spec. I've watched about every Youtube video about intake removal, head pulling, timing as I could find specifically about 4.6l f150s. Got my ft/lb and in/lb wrenches ready to rock. Picked up a full set of wobble extensions to hopefully make my life a bit easier this weekend. Have my torque pattern diagrams and readings ready. The good news is if I do run into problems (broken/stripped bolts) the truck isin't my primary vehicle so it can sit for a bit but ideally it'll be apart and cleaned saturday and back together sunday. I'll try and post pics as I go for everyone (my phone wouldn't let me log in and locked me out), show you my parts inventory/shop if anyone is curious.

Thanks!!!
Old 02-14-2019, 11:55 AM

Old 02-14-2019, 12:02 PM

Old 02-15-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by green2man0 View Post
So I'm getting ready to replace the passenger head on my 2004 f150 4.6l. I've gotten all the parts over the last week or 2 and I think I'm ready to go this weekend. I have a re-manufactured complete head, head gasket, intake gasket set, exhaust manifold gasket set, and valve cover set. Is there anything I'm missing? Any words of advice that would be helpful before I start. I have a heated shop which will be nice since it's about 20-30 degrees outside. My only concern so far is if the exhaust manifold bolts are gonna cooperate. I'm going to try and leave the timing cover on but have the pullers and everything else if that doesn't work out.

I have 0 compression in the #1 cylinder and a little coolant condensation around the #1 hole. After doing a compression/leak down test it seems to be coming from somewhere in the head. Compression across the 2-8 cylinders is all good and in spec for both wet/dry compression test. So I'm guessing a intake gasket failure combined with either a bent/hanging valve or worn valve valve guides or broken spring. I'll update as I take everything apart.
Well here's my 2 cents.

1. There's a stud that fits on the back side of the passenger head, that attaches that pipe that runs between your heads and attaches behind the water pump to the block. Find that, and get eyes on it, and where it goes, much easier to figure out while you can look at things easily. This stud attaches to a ground wire that connects to the firewall.
2. Exhaust manifolds. I'm pretty sure the OEM exhaust manifolds are butt. I went ahead and bought some shorty's to replace the rusted out OEM exhaust manifolds.
3. Torque on the Intake manifold!!!! I read online somewhere that it was 215 Inch/Lbs. It's not! I ended up torquing to 50 Inch/Lbs, then up to 90 inch/lbs. I learned this by snapping a bolt, which wasn't a big deal after all, but it was annoying.
4. Look up which head bolts, as some of these bolts extend down into the coolant areas. I'm sure someone else can give you better advice about this, so maybe ask about it if you don't already know.
5. Oil the heads of the new head bolts, says that in the manual. Don't oil the threads, as I've understood that sealant won't stick to oiled threads.
6. I put my exhaust manifold on just finger tight before installing the head into the truck, then after the heads were torqued in, I only needed to tighten the exhaust manifold studs a few turns, instead of worming in the f-ing exhaust, and then finger fiddling with the bolts etc....
7. Get a 10mm ratcheting wrench for exhaust manifold. Helps TOOOONNNNNSSS!!!
8. Get a pad for your butt, sitting on the grill area gets old. And maybe take that hood latch loose. I've had that thing in my *** too many times...

Other than that, and this is more of a reflection of me than you, but just go slow, relax when you get annoyed, cause it would suck ***** to do everything twice. I find coffee, and occasional snacks help as well.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:45 PM

Old 02-16-2019, 08:30 PM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 f150 4.6 head/intake gasket replacement

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: