Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2004 f-150 xlt

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 f-150 xlt

Howdy! Have a couple of questions about my instrument cluster. When I am driving along my dome lights come on as does the brake light in the lower left side of the dash. to get the lights to go out I hit the dash above the light switch and they go out! After awhile I hit a bump and interior lights come on again. same thing bit the dash they go out. one time I drove all the way across the state of Nebraska and not a problem at all, the all of a sudden were back at it again. Most of the time I turn the dimmer switch to the off position and it solves the dome light problem not the brake light.
I have been told this is all controlled by the instrument cluster as well as the power windows, radio exedra, Is this true and should I get another instrument cluster /get this one rebuilt?
Sure could use the help I can't be the only guy with this problem. Thanks for any input fyi I have about 265,000 miles on it, 5.4
Old 02-07-2019, 07:13 PM

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Color Concepts
Howdy! Have a couple of questions about my instrument cluster. When I am driving along my dome lights come on as does the brake light in the lower left side of the dash. to get the lights to go out I hit the dash above the light switch and they go out! After awhile I hit a bump and interior lights come on again. same thing bit the dash they go out. one time I drove all the way across the state of Nebraska and not a problem at all, the all of a sudden were back at it again. Most of the time I turn the dimmer switch to the off position and it solves the dome light problem not the brake light.
I have been told this is all controlled by the instrument cluster as well as the power windows, radio exedra, Is this true and should I get another instrument cluster /get this one rebuilt?
Sure could use the help I can't be the only guy with this problem. Thanks for any input fyi I have about 265,000 miles on it, 5.4
Mine does the same thing and from what Ive researched I will need my cluster rebuilt. I go weeks sometimes without issues and then some mornings Ill walk out and my interior lights are on. I wish there was an easier fix.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The brake light may be a sticky button for such - my 2007 has a brake light warming on most ion the time. I have not really looked into it, kind of hard to bend my 68 year old body into position to look under the dash in that area. Does sound like a short or loose connection somewhere in the dome light problem, etc.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:17 AM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

The brake light is in the cluster as well. I had that issue. You can smack the upper left, I believe, and it will go off.
I ended up finding a fx4 cluster, with close to the same mileage for $20 from a member on here. I just waited until the mileage racked up on mine, and swapped it out when it was time.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The cluster needs to be repaired there are several different online companies that do it if you ship it to them. We have a local guy that comes by our shop and charges $150 to do them. Not sure what the online companies are charging.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I used Deoxit in every switch in the Instrument cluster when I had some intermittency issues and it solved them ALL. Including the brightness control for the interior lights. Try simple solutions first and then call in the heavy fiscal Deadweight Metric Tonnage outlay solutions if you don't see improvement with a can of good contact cleaner. Good luck...
Old 02-11-2019, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem..started out with interior dome light coming on randomly. Soon after the brake light.
Cluster rebuild fixed them both.

Quick Reply: 2004 f-150 xlt