Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

18 inch vs. 20 inch wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 inch vs. 20 inch wheels

This is one of my first posts here, so bear with me. I recently bought a 2008 King Ranch with 28K miles. I love the truck, shopped for a nice used one for a long time and finally found it.

I've driven it now for a couple weeks and am getting used to driving a large vehicle...I'm new to trucks and this is my first pickup. I really paid no attention to the fact it had 20 inch tires, new Pirelli Scorpions the dealer put on when they took the vehicle in (lease return). I have noticed the truck has a bit of a firm ride although it doesn't bother me enough to complain.

I live in Colorado which means snow. I fly fish and hunt but have no plans to go off road...gravel and forest service roads will be the extent of it.
If I had a choice I would prefer 18's but I found my dream truck and it came with 20's.

Question: I've heard 20 inch wheels/tires are really for looks and somewhat of a disadvantage performance-wise. Is this true? Other than the higher cost of tires does it really matter much?
Old 10-23-2010, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would buy a set of 18's install some winter tires on it and keep the 20s for the spring and summer time. Just my .02 cents!
Old 10-23-2010, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with what Ohio said. I would like to get a set of 20's for the summer for my lariat. But since it snows here too I am more likely to need to use my 18's and also in case I decide to do some things out on the property.

The only real way I can think it improve them without going to another rim size is to see if you can get some bigger tires on that rim, that way there is more tread to help in "digging" its way through whatever you may bring upon it.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:16 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

bigger wheels with smaller sidewalls increase handling performance. but those smaller side walls dont absorbe much of the bumps in the road. so ride is harsher. its a trade off between handing and ride.

Quick Reply: 18 inch vs. 20 inch wheels