Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

08' FX2 SCREW Won't Shift Out of Park

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 08' FX2 SCREW Won't Shift Out of Park

My 2008 F150 5.4l FX2 won't shift out of park. It has the console shift if that matters to troubleshooting. Also it did this once the other day, but was eventually able to get it to shift, but after that was all she wrote. I think there are a couple switches and solenoids involved as well as checking the brake lights. But not sure if that was on the earlier models. Also wanted to verify if the console shifter had additional items vs. the traditional column shift.

Thanks, any responses would be appreciated. Although I don't mind driving the wife's X5 once in a while, I gotta get to work tomorrow and would rather be in the truck...
Old 08-12-2012, 06:33 PM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

Have you looked in the manual? There is a bypass inside where the floor shifter is. I don't remember exactly what, but I do remember it saying if it won't shift out of park, do this.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

Check your linkage.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Check to see if your brake lights come on man. If they don't then you have a blown brake fuse. Your truck won't shift into gear because it isn't registering that the brake is being pressed. Happened to me a few weeks ago
Old 08-12-2012, 08:19 PM

Pop the drivers side panel off and check to ensure your linkage is in place
Old 08-12-2012, 08:28 PM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I found this pic a while ago on another forum, a 2006 F150 I think. Check the brake light switch under the dash if there are no blown fuses.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:02 AM

Thanks for the replies! Fixed it! For anyone that might encounter this in the future I will recount the steps I went through.

First: I began by cussing and screaming followed by nearly destroying the shifter mechanism by resorting to brute force.

Second: After searching this site and others but not finding any results for the console shifter, and hardly any for anything older than an '03, I posted here.

Third: While waiting for replies, I got to my truck and verified all three brake lights were functioning.

Fourth: I pulled out the good 'ol manual, then checked all fuses that could be related. All fuses were good.

Fifth: Continued searching the manual and found the reference to the brake/shifter override button. It tells you to engage the brake, move the key to off and remove it. Then remove the center console shifter cover, insert the key and turn to On, then depress the white button shown in the photo posted in the above post. So I did that. But when I put the shifter back into Park it refused to engage. Repeated pushing the button, this time keeping it depressed while moving the shifter through all the selections. It worked after that but was still not "feeling"right. I then used some silicone electronic lubricant on the button mechanism and tried it again, this time out it felt like it did before. I guess that over time with the small particles of dust and who knows what makes it's way inside the console, it just got stuck.

I am just glad this didn't happen somewhere remote, or on my way to work, as the troubleshooting and the process to resolve it were a bit time consuming. It's kinda scary and sad that modern vehicles have to have so many sensors and relays for so many relatively basic functions. I do understand that it is in the name of safety, to make sure you have the brake engaged when putting the transmission into gear, but it all seems a bit excessive to me...

Thanks again for the help!
The following users liked this post:
GoneBallistic (12-28-2023)
Old 09-26-2012, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12 344

Last edited by doctizzle; 03-19-2021 at 02:16 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey all,
I know this is an old thread. I have this same issue, my brake lights work fine, cruise control works, no blown fuses, works fine if I depress button, but obviously that is a temporary work around. The problem started out intermittently, but does not work at all now. I saw that some have noted the actuator, once disassembled reveals a blown transistor on the actuator circuit board but mine was not visibly bad (and intermittent does not support this being the issue). the solenoid seems to move smoothly, everything seems to be fine, except actuator is not responding when brake is pressed. Brake switch looks fine, not misaligned, I noticed if I use white lever to engage, the micro switch on actuator depresses and I can hear a relay clicking beneath dash....hate to spend $150 for actuator on a guess, taking it to dealer will be much more. For now I have a tie wrap holding white lever down, so it works fine, but that's kind of a mickey mouse solution to the problem. one other thing I noticed is where the wires go into the actuator, they look kind of pinched, maybe one broken inside? This is consistent with the problem being intermittent. anybody encounter this? Lastly, any videos showing steps to replace actuator?

Last edited by ReneB64; 03-15-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing wrong with a DIY fix vs $150. I have mine held down with scotch tape.

Quick Reply: 08' FX2 SCREW Won't Shift Out of Park