Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

08 F150 wont start after messing with odometer LED backlight

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Truck wont start after pulling out and putting back instrument cluster

The odometer backlight on my 2008 F150 is almost always off, but turns on every once in a while when I start the truck (I would guess about once every couple weeks). I looked at some other posts and it seemed like replacing the bulb was an easy fix, so I unscrewed and took off the plastic panels around the steering column, unscrewed the instrument cluster, pulled it loose and removed the odometer backlight bulb from the back of the cluster. I put it back in place and it worked for a minute when it was sitting in a certain position but then stopped working again. I put everything back together and was going to go see if I could find a replacement bulb. When I tried to start the truck, it turned over but the engine didn't start. The lights, AC, radio, and all the dash lights and gauges worked but the engine would not start. After trying to turn the key the red alarm light blinks several times quickly and there is a weird clicking and buzzing sound that sounds like its coming from in the dash.

I bought the truck used from a dealership in June and it only came with one key (the key did not come with any unlock/lock/panic buttons and there is no ford emblem on it). I think it may be a spare and not the original truck key.

Could the alarm system possibly not be allowing me to turn the truck on because of a factory setting that tries to prevent the vehicle from being stolen? Is this something I might need the original key for that I don't have? Could I have maybe loosened a wire or something going into the instrument cluster thats preventing the engine from starting?

I don't have much money to pay for a costly repair so anything suggestions yall may have that are cost efficient would be appreciated, although I would like to hear all suggestions just in case there is no way around having it towed to the dealership for repair.

I am not experienced in anyway with repairing vehicles nor do I know much about them. The fix seemed simple so I just took a few screws out, removed the panels, and took out the bulb and put it back in (I probably shouldnt have been messing with it but I figured I would give it a try). Never crossed my mind that the truck wouldn't start after this! Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by Wallnutz; 11-25-2013 at 09:59 PM. Reason: changing title
Old 11-26-2013, 03:26 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I wound try to pull the cluster and re seat it. Might not be plugged in all the way. Had a exploder that the security system forget its keys and cost of $150 to get it towed 2 miles and $150 for ford to reprogram 2 new keys to it. Hopefully its just not plugged it all the way
Old 11-26-2013, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll pull it back out and make sure nothing is loose. Hopefully that does the trick or I'll be facing the same problem as you, a 2 mile tow and paying for new keys. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: 08 F150 wont start after messing with odometer LED backlight