Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

08' 6-Disc/MP3 radio in an 04' F-150 antenna adapter?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Problem Solver

Received 358 Likes on 262 Posts

Question 08' 6-Disc/MP3 radio in an 04' F-150 antenna adapter?

I have scoured through the audio forum for the answer, and google offered a bit of help but nothing concrete. In my 04' F150 the radio will occasionally refuse to spit out my CD, and when it does it will only come out for a moment or two then suck it back in (never gets stuck).

Well, that was annoying but not too bad, but now my passenger side speaker wont work. I have ALL STOCK equipment. The other three work, if I put the non working speaker on the drivers side it works, then put the working drivers speaker on the passenger side, nothing. So through my research I found that this is commonly an issue with the HU alone. If a speaker wire had grounded, or otherwise been damaged the HU will simply quit working all together eliminating the wiring as a problem.

On to the real question; I bought a 6-disc/MP3/AM/FM radio from an 08' F150 to replace mine. I do not have steering wheel controls. I need to find the antenna adapter that will go from my OEM to the new OEM... The part number that I keep running into is 40CR20. I can't find any thread or anything that can definitively tell me if this is the correct part or not.

So, if anyone can help here, I'd really appreciate it. Also, if anyone has done anything similar to this, did you encounter any issues of any kind as a result of the swap?
Old 02-21-2011, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take the radio in to best buy i no they will have one and it will be like 13 dollars
Old 02-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Problem Solver

Received 358 Likes on 262 Posts

Okay, got the radio in and so far everything works... Aside from the passenger side speaker. I have absolutely nothing from it. I put that speaker in the driver door, works just fine. Put the driver speaker in the passenger door, and nothing again. I have traced the wires all the way back to the HU (without looking in the wire loom) and there are no obvious breaks... Any ideas?
Old 08-16-2020, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which adaptor ended up working I have the same problem trying to use an 08 nav into a 04 f150
Old 08-16-2020, 03:14 PM
Old-n-Cranky

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

YES.. the stuck CD is a very common issue with the 6-CD changers. I had that problem on my 2001 Ranger. I took mine apart and cleaned it and it worked for a while, but it eventually did it again, so I put in an aftermarket HU. The changers had their day, but when the USB/MP3 came around - the CD's are ancient history. SIGH.. I miss my old Ranger... R.I.P.

If I can find it, I think I still have my old HU I removed from my '04 Lariat. I also have the factory sub and amp unit that came out of it. If anyone is interested, make me an offer. All worked fine when removed (shipping may be a bit more than usual - the sub box is long).
The only reason I yanked the factory system was because I wanted a stereo with USB-MP3 capability, bigger sub and more power. Other than that, the HU and sub worked fine when removed. I raised my back seat a few inches and made a custom sub enclosure to fit a 10" speaker to give it some decent thump. Turned out better than I expected. The sub box was very tricky to make due to the MANY angles the floor has back there.

I don't know if my factory sub/amp unit can be added into other trucks if they didn't originally come with it (you could always wire it manually if you know what you're doing). Not sure if all the trucks have the wire harness already in place? If it was offered as a factory option, I would assume so.
You might have to remove the back seat to find it.. and be prepared for a fight if you do! There is a 'special' tool to remove it (go figure), but it can be done with a large screwdriver, patience, probably some foul language and BEER! It has locking tabs that are a bastard. I tossed them once I got the seat off. (Fun fact: if you have the keyless entry, you'll find your door code behind the back seat - driver's side).

Out of all the factory stereos I've ever heard - I must admit the factory one in my Lariat sounded better than any other factory stereo I've ever listen to.
You can also add a jack to the factor radios to plug in your I-pod or other MP3 player, or buy a radio from Fleabay with it already done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08' 6-Disc/MP3 radio in an 04' F-150 antenna adapter?