Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

07 King Ranch myriad of issues..

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 10:34 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default 07 King Ranch myriad of issues..

So I done messed up and bought an 07 King Ranch SCrew with 146k on the clock. It has a few problems, to say the least..... I bought the truck Monday and to really I have fun I took it on a road trip to Gatlinburg, TN where I am currently all the way from Upper MI. At least it has a lot of room inside hah.

I did snag the superchips dashpaq out of my 17 F150 to monitor the vitals while driving and it shows all good news. The engine is also quiet so the timing everything is good for now.

Here they go.

1. The dash 4x4 light stays on and I can't hear 4x4 engage when I turn the ****. I'm assuming it's the t-case motor but I haven't gone any further. Could it be the vacuum lines or that circuit?

2. P0060 keeps popping up randomly. I bought the truck with the D/S cat cut out as it had plugged and they welded a straight pipe in. I replaced the downstream O2 sensor as that's the code with a new Bosch one and the code still comes up randomly. The truck runs fine and I even managed 15.9mpg of pure interstate driving.

3. There's a nice vibration coming out of the rear of the truck. I had the tires rotated and balanced this morning in Lafayette, IN and then hit the road south and it was smooth as can be, until about the TN line. When I let off the throttle and coast it has a vibration in the seat. The rear u-joint was done a few months ago and the front one feels tight. Pinion bearing?

4. The awesome power steering pump. She wines like my ex-wife and has hard spots in the turning. I stopped in Frankfort, KN and pumped out the reservoir and refilled it with Lucas fluid which was nice for a little while but it went back to its old ways a little. Now the whine is less, but still, a little tough to turn and slow speeds. I'm assuming the pump...

I appreciate the help, and if anyone is in the Gatlinburg area can I borrow your driveway and some tools? Haha..... kidding.....not kidding.....

Last edited by militarybuilt; 06-13-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:30 AM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

The good thing is the engine sounds healthy.
1. Check IWE hubs and the vacuum lines that lead to them. This is a VERY common issue on the 4x4's.
2. Check the wires that connect to the o2 to make sure that they are not burned or corroded. Most likely replace the sensor. Make sure to look up the non fouler mod to keep any p0420/p0430 codes from coming up.
3. If the balance fixed the issue, most likely a tire problem. Try a rotation?
4. Lucas P/S Stop Leak (PN 10008) has solved some whining issues in other vehicles that I have used it in. Is this the one you tried? If that doesn't help, you most likely need the new pump.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:08 AM
Old Man

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

On a followup, on my '06 KR, the vacuum lines and IWEs will not cause a 4x4 light. Mine was completely disconnected and the IWE's engaged full time and that didn't cause a light.

Have you read the 4x4 codes with your scanner? I can read mine using a bluetooth ODBII and an apple device with ODBFusion tool and the Ford download. Total cost about 75 dollars if I recall correctly.

I had the power steering pump go out on my '06 at 195k. . its probably toast and is pretty buried in the engine bay. . . . not a fun job to replace.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by BeaverLakeF150
On a followup, on my '06 KR, the vacuum lines and IWEs will not cause a 4x4 light. Mine was completely disconnected and the IWE's engaged full time and that didn't cause a light.

Have you read the 4x4 codes with your scanner? I can read mine using a bluetooth ODBII and an apple device with ODBFusion tool and the Ford download. Total cost about 75 dollars if I recall correctly.

I had the power steering pump go out on my '06 at 195k. . its probably toast and is pretty buried in the engine bay. . . . not a fun job to replace.
No 4x4 codes came up, only the o2 sensor related codes. Then again I only have the dashpaq to read and clear codes with, I haven't used an actual legit scanner.

I'm assuming it's the pump as the Lucas didn't make too much of a difference. I may end up doing it in the parking garage here at the resort, not going to be fun.

Originally Posted by 650NutKase
The good thing is the engine sounds healthy.
1. Check IWE hubs and the vacuum lines that lead to them. This is a VERY common issue on the 4x4's.
2. Check the wires that connect to the o2 to make sure that they are not burned or corroded. Most likely replace the sensor. Make sure to look up the non fouler mod to keep any p0420/p0430 codes from coming up.
3. If the balance fixed the issue, most likely a tire problem. Try a rotation?
4. Lucas P/S Stop Leak (PN 10008) has solved some whining issues in other vehicles that I have used it in. Is this the one you tried? If that doesn't help, you most likely need the new pump.
1. Once I get back to WI I'll put a smoke machine on the vacuum lines and see if they are toast or the hubs are, but I don't hear anything when I turn the **** so it may be the motor as well.
2. THe wires look good and it's a brand new sensor, I'm just wondering if the missing cat is doing it. I'll have to get an off-road y-pipe if they make one.
3. I may rotate them again but the vibration is new. It rode a few hundred miles smooth as butter then just started lately. I should really check the diff fluid.....
4. Yea the lucas helped for a little while but now it's still not the best and makes noise. I will most likely be changing the pump in the parking lot of Autozone.....
Old 06-14-2019, 12:40 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

One thing to check on your steering is that knuckle in the shaft, they do what you describe and are known problem area . there are you tube videos on it . Seems more of a problem in salt states .
Old 06-14-2019, 12:44 PM

Yea I looked at that and I will definitely end up replacing that as well in the future, but the whining is really making me look at the pump.

Quick Reply: 07 King Ranch myriad of issues..