Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

06 xlt 5.4 with oil on throttle body plate

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 xlt 5.4 with oil on throttle body plate

Have an 06 xlt 5.4 with gryphon w/ custom 89 tune. Have noticed white smoke when starting and for few minutes in to drive goes away and when I floor it black smoke sometimes. Pulled throttle body and intake piping and found oil on manifold side of throttle plate. Has anyone ever had that or may know what could cause this. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Old 12-24-2015, 05:01 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Excessive crankcase blowby, or a sticking PCV valve. Our engines have a crankcase ventilation system that draws fresh air into the drivers side valve cover. There is a PCV valve that controls the amount of air drawn in through the crankcase (idle verses wide open throttle conditions). The crankcase fumes, which contains oil mist are then routed to the air intake via the passenger side valve cover to air intake by the throttle body to be burned off. Many folks will install an oil catch can on this side (passenger side valve cover to air intake) to prevent the oil mist from building up on the throttle body plate.
If you are experiencing excessive oil on the throttle body, I'd replace the PCV valve first.
How many miles are on this engine? High mileage engines can produce higher amounts of crankcase fumes/blowby; the piston rings or cylinders become worn, or the valve guide seals wear, causing oil to blow by the pistons and into the crankcase.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks bud I did have an intake on that didn't have the return side of the vent system hooked up and will have to change that now. Will look into pcv valve. Truck has 136000 and runs great but always messing with it. Tuner is fun to try different thing and see what I get. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I didn't wreck anything but if so just mean I get to rebuild the beast and make more power and do what ford wasn't able to!! Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 06 xlt 5.4 with oil on throttle body plate