Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

06 F150 Modification Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 F150 Modification Recommendations

New to the forum, (sort of) new to being a truck owner. I've got a 06 STX 4.6, 3.55s, 6.5' bed, regular cab, ~110,000 miles. It is basically bone stock with the exception of a front end level. Stock wheels, stock size tires, not sure why the previous owner leveled the truck and didn't upgrade the wheels/tires but I'm glad somebody else took care of that for me.

I plan on keeping this truck for several years. It is my daily driver (damn Student Loans). Most of this truck's life will be spent commuting through downtown Lexington, KY with a lot of highway time traveling to job sites and such. However, being from the mountains of southeast KY, this truck will see it's fair share of hairy situations on excursions back home. I didn't buy a truck for looks and I don't plan to put chrome 20's on it.

I have a lot of ideas for this truck but I thought it would be prudent to see what you guys with actual experience have to say.
  • Tuner - I have bounced around on a few forums trying to get a good idea for recommended tuners. I am looking into an SCT with custom tunes from 5 Star but I am definitely not stuck on that. What programmers and tuners do you recommend?
  • Wheel/Tire Combo - I am looking to upgrade the stock wheels when it is time for some new rubber. How big could I go before I should seriously look into gearing changes? I am aware it should be done regardless but being fresh out of college, I don't have that kind of cash. I would like something larger than stock and would prefer a bit wider. Looks are nice but not getting hung up off camber on a rock lined ridge is nicer... That one puckered the backside a bit.
  • If gearing is an option by then, how smart, or dumb, would it be to look for a stock set of Ford 3.73 gears? I like the ride height of the truck as it sits so a lift is not in the plans. That being said, I don't plan on going any larger than 33s, if I even go that big. Would tracking down a set of 3.73s be any cheaper than just buying a set of Richmond or Yukon gears? Obviously if I go the route of aftermarket gears I would go with a more suited ratio, 3.91, 4.11, etc. What tire size limits would you give a set of 3.73s?

That's enough to get me started. If I get attached to this truck, much more drastic modification will be in order but that will be years down the road. Any suggestions/recommendations/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

Get the tuner (some brand), and you probably don't need custom tunes.
Skip the rest and pay off your loans.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:02 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Gears is gonna be pretty expensive and like you said you have loans.

Quick Reply: 06 F150 Modification Recommendations