Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

06 f150 4x4 problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 f150 4x4 problem

I have an 06 f150 supercrew with the 5.4 with 103,000 miles i just bought this truck a month ago and went to use the 4x4 and it didnt engage when i turn the swith to 4x4 hi the light on the dash comes on and i just replaced the iwe solenoid so i know its good and i hear the actuator kick over everything is good but the hubs just wont lock in. im pretty sure the hubs are good because sometimes they will lock in but they wont stay in does anybody have any suggestions i havent checked to vacuum lines yet but i figured it was a leak somewhere in the lines. the truck also has a deep rumbling noise on the passenger side front but only at 50 to 60 mph. and i just changed the brake pads and rotors and calipers on both sides. but there is no vibration in the wheel.

Last edited by big buck hunter; 01-06-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 PM

My '06 actuator was shot. I got the serious run-around from the dealership so I did my own diagnosis. I got a cheap vacuum pump with a gauge, popped the vacuum line off the hub actuator and connected the pump directly to it. This can be found right behind the wheel - just follow the axle out to the hub and you'll see the assembly and the small vacuum line. When I pumped up the left side, it held vacuum, but the right didn't. The actuator boot was torn allowing air and crap into the vacuum system (bad). Since my truck was under warranty at the time, I let the dealership replace the actuator, but I cleaned all the vacuum lines out myself.

There's a lot of info in this forum on this problem and here's a good link to how it works:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/83...then-some.html
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 AM

If my hubs have locked in before they are good right? Or can they go bad that fast?
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by big buck hunter
I have an 06 f150 supercrew with the 5.4 with 103,000 miles i just bought this truck a month ago and went to use the 4x4 and it didnt engage when i turn the swith to 4x4 hi the light on the dash comes on and i just replaced the iwe solenoid so i know its good and i hear the actuator kick over everything is good but the hubs just wont lock in. im pretty sure the hubs are good because sometimes they will lock in but they wont stay in does anybody have any suggestions i havent checked to vacuum lines yet but i figured it was a leak somewhere in the lines. the truck also has a deep rumbling noise on the passenger side front but only at 50 to 60 mph. and i just changed the brake pads and rotors and calipers on both sides. but there is no vibration in the wheel.
First, use some punctuation. Typing your post in one long run-on sentence makes it difficult to read.

Second, go here and follow the steps to diagnose your system: https://www.f150forum.com/f72/how-di...m-esof-186872/

Quick Reply: 06 f150 4x4 problem